1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grant68, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grant68

grant68 Thread Starter

I purchased 2 Samsung 500G 7200RPM SATAII with the intention of installing Vista Ultimate x64 on one and running a dual boot system with XP. Finally got this all to work, but still have experienced instability issues with Vista (SP1) freezing. Was going through process of upgrading drivers etc when decided to upgrade the bios.

Was using Uguru bios flash utility and was about 60% complete when I had some form of power spike in the house (all lights and computers turned off momentarily).

Subsequently the computer will not boot. The Post messages get stuck on C1.

Does anyone have any idea on how to reflash the bios seeing as it is probably now corrupt.

Motherboard is ABIT AB9-Pro Intel 965 Chipset Socket 775 Motherboard

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Abit boards do not have a protected bios block area like asus or intel boards however there may be a chance. Does your system access or look at the floppy drive when you attempt to boot? If it does access the floppy, I have instructions for making a "blind" bios flash disk ie no screen, no input from user, etc.

Post back if you want the instructions.

I am assuming you have already attempted to clear cmos and that did not work.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The other method would be to pull the bios chip and replace it with one from badflash.com. I have used them in the past for a few boards and I have been very pleased with their service.

4. grant68

grant68 Thread Starter

Dont currently have a floppy drive but that can easily be rectified.

Please post instructions for blind bios copy.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Remember your system must access the floppy on bootup for this to work. When you install a floppy drive, power ON the system and see if it "Looks" at the floppy; ie the green light comes on then off and you hear the drive. Note if it does not do this, you are wasting your time making the boot disk, etc.
    In any case, here are the blind flashing instructions.

This will make a floppy for flashing the bios if there is no screen ie a corrupted bios.

Make a bootable floppy for flashing bios.
    Put awardflash.exe or your flash utility on floppy.
    copy bios file to floppy.
    Put an autoexec.bat file on floppy
    Put just this one line in autoexec.bat file.
    awdflash.exe ak31s2eh.bin /py /sn /cd /cp /cc
    substitute bios name for ak31s2eh.bin
    delete any config.sys file from floppy

Now insert the floppy you made into the drive. Open the case and pull power from ALL drives except the floppy drive. Pw ON the system. You will not get a screen display. You will know it is working if the floppy drive is accessed. Do not touch anything while it is working. After a few min, pw OFF. With the case still open, reconnect pw to your drives and clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper to keep position and pw ON.

If you were successful, you will get a screen display, etc.

6. grant68

grant68 Thread Starter

Unfortunately the floppy drive is not being powered up.

Any other suggestions, other than the bios chip I guess.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your only two options are to replace the bios chip OR replace the board. FWIW I have done a number of bios chip swaps and they are pretty easy. Go to badflash.com and they have detailed instructions on how to pull the chip, ship it to them, etc.

They will also just ship you a new chip rather than reprogram your chip. This is quicker then sending in your bios chip for reprogramming.

I have a board here using one of badflash's reprogrammed chips. I use this board in my network storage system.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice