1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is my motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cobainjunkie, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cobainjunkie

cobainjunkie Thread Starter

i went to a local computer repair store today to buy more RAM for my pc. my pc is an HP pavillion a1220n. i told them that and they looked up the type of RAM needed and i made my purchase. i tried to install it but the RAM just wouldn't seem to fit right. it probably wasn't wise, but i had the ram in as far as it would go and assumed that it might just be something wrong with the locks and tried turning on the computer. when i tried this, nothing at all happened. it was as if the computer was unplugged. i then took out the new RAM and tried to start the computer up and it wont start at all. still as if it were unplugged.

what i dont understand is A) if the computer didn't start at all, i dont see how it could have fried the motherboard or anything and B)even if it would have started, the ram wasn't fully in place so how could it have even had an effect?

oh, and also, the RAM they gave me was pc3200 ddr but after my problem i did some searching and discovered i NEEDED pc2-3200 ddr2.

i dont understand how they could have screwed that up. i'm no technician, but even i can use google.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The DDR PC 3200 should not have even fit in the slot for DDR2 ram with out forcing it and breaking something. If it did some how go into the slot it is possible to have damaged the slot and the connections in the slot.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I can see how they may have made an error just seeing the 3200 and not paying close enough attention to the rest of the specs. This does not excuse them though for making the error. And the fact that the error could have been a costly one for you, I would bring this to their attention and see if they are willing to make good on their error and repair your computer. I doubt they would do that though. I would at least get a refund for the ram they sold you and make sure that as you are counting the money that you let them know that you will not be returnig as a customer and will even steer your friends away from that establishment.

4. cobainjunkie

yeah it didn't fit. thats why i'm confused on how it could have damaged anything because it was never really connected in any way. i can't understand why my computer acts as if theres no power anymore. it was fine earlier and i've never had a problem with it before this

edit: also, yeah, whats even worse is i paid 85 dollars for 2 512 MB sticks. now i've seen that i could have got that for 35 on crucial.com. and at least i would have got the right thing. i would be happy if they'd at least replace the RAM since it was their fault, and if i have to buy a new motherboard i suppose i'll have no other choice

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is possible that while you were inside the case that you jarred loose the power connections on the motherboard. You might just try reseating the P1 Connector (the big one) and the 12V ATX connector, both of which would prevent your system from powering on.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    DDR ram is getting more and more scarce, therefore it is getting more expensive. DDR2 is even getting a little more expensive because of the new DDR3 ram. Personally I have decided that with 2 older Dell Dimensions that when it comes time to upgrade them again, NEW computers are going to be built instead because the upgrades are getting to cost more than the parts for my newer computers. And I would think that they should at least replace the Ram with the correct parts, but then they would be ahead on money if they did not refund the difference in price. I would just take it back and demand a refund. Then invest in the correct ram somewhere else if you can get the system running again.

7. cobainjunkie

thank you for your replies dustyjay. i appreciate it. i've just now got my pc running again. i have no idea what was wrong. apparently its something with my apartments power outlets because i'd already pushed the plug in to make sure it was all the way plugged in earlier and it didn't help. however i just unplugged it, and plugged it to the one above it and its working. whats strange is when i plug my monitor into where my computer WAS plugged in, the monitor works. i didn't know outlets discriminated against what gets plugged in haha. so now my only issue is with the business that sold me the RAM. hopefully they'll replace it, which they should otherwise i'm going to be highly upset about 85 dollars down the drain. the receipt specifically says no refunds on anything opened but i will just point out that an exchange isn't a refund and since its their mistake they should make it right. i'm certain they will, its just bad business not to in a situation like this. thanks again for your help though!

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Happy to hear that it was not a damaged Motherboard after all. Might I suggest with the wall sockets acting funny, that a decent surge protector might be a good investment. Maybe take a big stick with you, not to use but as an indicator of your unhappiness. (j/k) Hopefully the shop will be more helpful Even if $85 is real steep for PC2-3200 ram.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/904114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice