1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ihkbanks101, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ihkbanks101

ihkbanks101 Thread Starter

Here is my issue: I had my computer in a tight space so air flow was very limited. The computer shut itself down probably because of an overheat issue. After I rebooted (with a fan blowing on it and with optimal air flow) windows would fail to load. I've taken out every component, RAM, Video Card, Disk Drives, Hard Drive and everything has been tested in another PC and everything works 100% fine . After buying a new Hard Drive windows would still fail to load at the same exact spot. I also tried a new power supply but I still got the same exact problem. I've also reset bios. The only 2 possible problems are either the Proccessor or the Mobo.

The place where I keep getting freezes are right when I get to the Starting Windows screen, and the logo begins to form. As soon as the Logo starts to animate, everything stops, keyboard shuts off and cpu resets itself. Windows recovery tool will load files and when it comes to starting up windows i'll get the same thing, freeze then reset. I am able to access bios, but a few times I've encountered freezes during the bios. I've also tried booting with no usb's plugged in or anything plugged in at all and still get the windows logo freeze every time. So is it the Motherboard? Or processor?

AMD Athlon Quad Core Phenom
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Sounds like it is.

3. Lance1

Lance1

It could be a problem with the Motherboard Capacitors. Take a look at them an see if they are swelled and or leaking. If they are, then the motherboard is not necessarily shot, they can be replaced in a tech shop or if you have the know how and the right tools you can do it yourself. I have done this on many boards and it is not as hard as it sounds. Besides, if the board is fried you can gain some hardware experience from this.

Replacing motherboard capacitors howto

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
  4. bigk

bigk

Just buy a whole new motherboard that is compatible with your current processor and other components. Nowadays motherboards are like what, $50 bucks?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/991689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice