Is my new RAM faulty?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stilez

Hello there,
I have just attempted to install a stick of 512MB PC2100 DDR Ram in my PC. The starter screens recognise the amount of RAM (although they only seem to see about 705MB instead of the 768 which is in there!!), but the PC is crashing like crazy, in fact I can't even get it to log in. So I took the stick out, and everything is fine. Now, I was about to send the stick back to the person I bought it off when I thought I would test it using 'PC-CHECK' (the floppy disk based hardware testing tool). to my suprise, it passed all the tests.:confused:

(Now, I recently tried installing another stick (from a friend, who said it didn't work at all), which seemed to be working fine until it a few weeks later when everything went haywire. I tested the RAM and PC-CHECK said there were definate errors with the memory. So I took the stick out and the PC is now fine.)

So, the question is, is it possible that the problem could be with something else on my Pc, like the memory slot in my motherboard, or should I send the RAM back and try again?

Thanks for any advice... :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd pick up one of these memory tests, install the memory as the only RAM in the system, and run them. Try moving the memory to different slots to see if the location affects the errors. ANY errors running these tests for any length of time is a problem.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

crjdriver

Post exact specs on the system ie mb type, cpu type, etc. It will help with finding the problem.

Are you sure your board supports 512 chips?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.