1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my PC a good gaming rig?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xephar, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

If you look at my sig, is this PC good for gaming? Because I have been having a hard time with certain games. Doom 3 works well for the most part but will lag up during combat when there is a lot of shadowing and dynamic lighting going on. As well as post processing effects like bluring and such. Now Far Cry seems to be slow ALL the TIME. Half Life 2 on the other hand works like a charm with everything turned ALL the way up. I am thinking that it might be my Video Card causing me all this grief cause the rest of my specs always seem to fall well within the recomended specs for each game. Can anyone suggest any changes to my System to improve performance for games.

2. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Yeah, it's definatley the video card. Why not just try playing everything at a medium level? I used to have a radeon 9200se, AMD 1800 and 512MB ram, but I could play all the games above without much lag at all.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, when you build that killer AMD 64 bit if you don't buy a video card you are going to be exactly where you are now.

I'd personally buy a case, motherboard, some 3200 DDR and jump that thing to a 400 FSB by lowering the multiplier and finally buy a video card. I had an AMD 3400+ in this machine for 2 days and it really wasn't all that. I returned it because it had a bad CPU fan header on the board. (I had bought a board and CPU combo.)

I bought instead a 3200+ with an Asus A7N8X-E deluxe, a gig of Kingston ram, and a 9800 pro as my X800XT PE was also a victim of a nasty power surge that wiped out my motherboard, ram, video card, cpu, and 1 hard drive.

I mean I am still not where I was before with my 2400+ because of the 9800 pro vs the X800XT. I was busting 12000 in 3DMark03. The hype is on the AMD 64s right now but very few marvels actually live up to the hype,("see Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch").

Yes the 64s are good processors but you don't need on for gaming or anything else right now. You do however need a video card.

4. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I see, so upgrade the ram and upgrade the video card. That I can do. Now, would PC3200 ram work on this mobo? The computer is less then 2 months old. I know it can support 400 mhz for the ram, but right now its working at 333

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Is the machine an HP? If it is you can't do much with the FSB even if it will run the 3200. If you have an HP, that is a big, big issue. The only way to de-HP it is a new motherboard.

HP locks you down as to what you can do in the bios.

6. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

Yeah its an HP computer alright. I will be getting a new Mobo and CPU shortly

So....
    Yeah

Whats funny is a JUST baught this computer liek 2 weeks ago. But, it was for $600 Canadian because it was an open box. (display model) at Futureshop. So I couldn't pass it up because i've needed a new PC for ages. I figure I will just slowly buy new parts as I get the money for em. I figure I already have the basics now, such as the case the Drives the powersupply and a killer soundcard.

Now all I need is a new mobo, CPU and video card. If I get a AMD 64 board which has PCI express will my current ram work on it? Cause I don't want to buy PC 3200 ram JUST yet, cause I just baught an aditional stick of 512 to make one gig.

7. torment1979

torment1979

xephar,

I agree with the videocard/memory, and my doom3 was like that until I shut everything in the background off and reset the detail level to low. Your not missing much in detail by doing so. I'm only running a 64mb xfx geforce 440 mx card until my 256mb card comes in. Also I'm only running 512K but also will soon change by this weekend. Your system can handle it fine, just give it the resources it needs.

8. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I am running with a gig of ram and I have the BARE MINIMUM running. and I mean bare minimum. I went into services.msc and turned off pretty much anything that is not essential to gaming or my internet connection. Everything else is turned off. So I have like 10 processes running when I start my computer. The performance is still lacking. I am going to be upgrading this video card pretty soon. But the motherboard and CPU are going to come first because I want to get a PCI Express video card, and for that I need a new motherboard.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you get the CPU and board and don't buy the ram you are going to be screwed. The FSB on a 64 is on chip and you aren't going to have much luck setting up the machine.

You are also going to need a case and a power supply because HP uses low powered supplies and small cases. You won't get a standard ATX board in it. Yeah, if you want PCI Express you have to go 64.

10. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

My case is actually about the same size as a scorpion case, so its not to small. But then again cases aren't too expensive. What kind of ram am I wanting to buy for the 64 board?

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Standard ATX. HP uses micro ATX boards.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice