1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my Power Supply Dying?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quantass, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quantass

quantass Thread Starter

hi there,

I have a HP Vectra VL800 (P4 1.7 GHz). Here are my stats:

+ Windows 2000
    + 768 MB of RAM (Rambus)
    + 2 Hard Drives (60 GB, 40 GB)
    + GeForce 2 GTS
    + Macronix Network Card
    + Soundblaster Live 5.1
    + DVD-Rom
    + CDRW

I bought this machine brand new 2 years (and 9 months) ago. Everything seemed fine for a time (about a year) but slowly it began making these "clicking" sounds like the hard drive(s) powers were being turned on and off repeatedly. As time went on these sounds became more prominent and more strangely, my HP system afterwards would start blinking on/off its chasis light display (i belive it was the left one -- the hard drive indicator) and from there my entire OS would crash and my HP system would have this loud FAN noise -- this sound usually indicated to me that my system had crashed and i should flick it off now -- i always dread this sound. The last time it did this was so bad that my slave drive became usuable and i lost all my Program files existing on it. I started goofing around trying to pinpoint what was causing this to my system. My attention focused on my hard drive's power and IDE cables (to the hard drive). My guess is that its some kind of loss of power that is occuring randomly. Even as i am writing this btw i am using this system and i can hear odd sounds (doesnt happen often though) from my hard drive (i only have 1 connected right now). Its not the kind of sound where if you pull the power on somthing it just sounds like it fades in activity...this sound coming from the hard drive has a feeling like some kind of "activity" is happening in the hard drive (very brief audible noise) -- maybe it is getting a signal to PARK itself ??!? due to a drop in power??

Here are my Power Supply Info:

LiteOn Electronics Inc.
    + Model No. PS-6251-2H7
    + DC Output: 250W
    + Input: 100-127V~/7.0A 50-60 Hz, 200-240V~/3.5A 50-60Hz
    + Output: +5V/25A Max, -5V/0.3A Max, +5Vsb/2A Max, +12V/13A Max, -12V/1.2A Max, +3.3V/16A Max
    + Combined Power on +5V and +3.3 Rails not to exceed 150W Max.
    + Continous total DC Output power will not exeed 250W
    + Ambient: 50 degree Celcius Max

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of thing before? What should i do? Do you think its the power supply? Are there other tests i can run to help pinpoint what the real cause (and possible solution) could be?

Thanks very much

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I might be inclined to think its the harddrive itself - Usually when the drive clicks its going to die or fail. I would recommend backing up and then downloading diagnostic utilities for the harddrive - you'll need to know the brand of the harddrive and then go to their website to download the utility.

Of course being an HP , it does have a underpowered powersupply thats really expensive to replace, but you should be seeing a lot of different problems here and there.

3. quantass

quantass Thread Starter

Interesting Triple6. I never really thought it would be the Hard Drive until you mentioned that.

RIght now i disconnected my slave drive since i was originally thinking that was the hard drive making the sounds but now that it is disconnected it still makes the sounds ... indicaitng it is my Primary. But i am now wondering what caused my slave drive to behave strangely (and ultimately, kill its data -- and loose power in the first place). Maybe BOTH drives are dying? I have never had a hard drive die on me before .. i believe both drives are about 2 years old. Not used much. Thanks for the interesting info.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's the "click of death", and I'd also bet it's the hard disk. FWIW, hard disks are the most frequent failure I see...

5. quantass

quantass Thread Starter

Hi john...thanks for the reply...I received a reply at another forum and they think it is the PSU and that my HDs may have been damaged from them...I wonder if it was the psu and its lower power of 250W is what started all of this....this would kinda explain why both my hds are dying at the same time....or maybe it is just concidence and as you mention john hard disks are the most frequent failures... BTW, this is the FIRST time any hard drive has died on me like this...i use to own a C64 with a HD, Amiga w/HD, and onward and all those years nothing...LOTS of luck has been with me i guess....Interesting talk guys

I dloaded a Maxtor/QUantum diag program and HOPEFULLY they will say something...I will also start transfering my imoprtant files elsewhere.

6. quantass

quantass Thread Starter

hI again,

I am curious...how does a hard drive go about in dying? Is it just plain mileage over the years and then the head just cant take it anymore?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I have never seen a P/S failure kill a HD, and I've been doing this for a lot of years. :D I'm sure it can happen, but almost without exception, when a switching P/S dies, it just stops putting out anything, that's by design.

In my experience, the age or use of a hard disk has little to do with it dying, it seems some are just assembled better at the factory. :) I've had them go in three months, and I have some that are 5-6 years old, and still running.

Backup...backup...backup... :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice