Is my processor keeping me from gaming?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MaryBeth

What is the processor, how do I change it, (if need be) how can I found out what mine is? I have replaced the video card, put in more memory and still cannot get the stupid games to work. I am suspecting the processor because when I mention it, people want to know what I got. I don't know myself. :eek:
Please help?
thanx :p
maryb

Find the 'my computer' Icon... right click on it and go down to properties (click on properties) Underthe 'General' tab there should be a section called 'Computer' This should list the type of processor, how fast it runs, and how much RAM you have...

Post that information and we may be able to tell you a bit more about your PC and what it can or cannot do.

meh... dxdiag in the run line will do the same thing... if you know how and take the time to read it. but thats just my opinion.

MaryBeth

Thanks BannerGuy and Zeus.
Here's what I got.
Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2200 +
1.80 GHz, 768 MB of RAM
Now, what's that tell you? :confused:

That not a bad processor, certainly better than mine. You may be able to upgrade the CPU core a bit, but it runs a type A socket which has upgrades to ~2.08 Ghz. Though your system is not outdated... it may be getting to the end of its useful life as a Top of the line gaming machine. For what its worth... this machine should still play about 90% of the games out today...

Out of curiousity... what video card did you install on this PC?

What 'stupid' games are we talking about getting to work?

MaryBeth

Thanks.
I installed XFX GeForce 5200.
The games are my son's (of course)
Call of Duty II
Men of Valor
Far Cry
That's all I can remember right now.
They lag so much it is almost unplayable, on single player.
On multiplayer his ping is horrible.
Men of Valor won't let him play either single or multi.

MaryBeth

BannerGuy said:
You may be able to upgrade the CPU core a bit, but it runs a type A socket which has upgrades to ~2.08 Ghz.
Please say that again in laymen's terms. It is a complete seperate insert or just an upgade to what it is in there already or what?
Is the higher or lower number in GHz's better?

you could pull the processor out of the computer... the type of socket that that the processor fits into is a 'type A'... so most processors that is compatible with 'type a' should work on this CPU... . There is one out there that allows you to go as fast as 2.08 Ghz... but for what you would pay the benefit may not be worth it. For the most part graphics card and RAM upgrades are the most beneficial to a PC... Pulling a processor out is a VERY delicate proceedure, and I would not recommend anyone do it unless they have the right tools. The only other factor would be how full the hard drive of the PC is.. if it is over 75% capacity, this will affect any gaming done on the PC.

Though the Vid card is not top of the line, you should not be having 'unbearable' and a setting for the games to run =P... they should be running at... minimal settings and able to atleast provide some sort of game play...

You may want to go to the following site and see how your PC stacks up against the requirements for some of your listed games... the tool should scan your PC and compare it against those of the game (that you have selected) and let you know if the game will play and where your system falls under its requirements. if your system falls is the lower 1/3 it may need an upgrade in technology.

http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/

Last of all please check to ensure there are as few programs running in the background as possible... the more there are the less the PC is able to do. Spyware and Adware are a big consumer of PC processing, if you have ANY it should be removed to help the PC in overall preformance... not just gaming.

Im far from an expert, but Iv got alot of experience playing all kinds of games on my machine, and through past upgrades, and putting together my first computer for myself Iv learned a little bit along the way about upgrading and video card capabilities and stuff

now I havent played Call of Duty 2, but Im pretty sure this game is top of the line as far as graphics go, and both far cry and call of duty should probably play reasonably with your processor, but probably not with that Video card, your card is pretty old, my Video card is a Gforce 5500, and it doesnt cut it for alot of newer games now, and Iv been looking into getting a" Radeon 9600XT", wich was the card recommended to me by many peaple as the best performance to $$$ ratio, and as being " very much better" than the one I have now

the store near me has the 256mb version of 9600 XT for $137 Canadian + tax, and Im buying one some time this week

but, Im only buying a better Video card because Im playing on an LCD monitor now (flat screen) wich is a technology that sort of forces you to play games at the Native resolution of the monitor, unless you want it to look really ugly, but playing at higher resolutions requires better performance from your Video card

but if your on a regular monitor (usually a CRT) it shouldnt look to bad at lower resolutions

I would say your choice of Video cards was from the real low end , performance wize, your card is pretty much the same as my own (most cards are good at one point in time, but they all become ancient eventually)

but as long as your son doesnt care about how beautifull the game looks, I would just go into the games graphics or Video settings, and set the resolution lower,

any ratio that matches the length to hight ratio of your screen, something like 1024*768 most likely, or even lower if you have to, as well as changing other graphics detail options to lower settings

doing this should increase the Frames per second to a playable level, instead of a slide show

or, if it is at all possible to return that card, and you are willing to pay a bit more and get a better one, do that, because these games, may be just outside the range of playability for our Video Cards

but first do as the other poster mentioned, and make sure that the problem isnt spyware/adware hogging up your processor

and most of all, get a second opinion, I wouldnt want to be responsible for missleading you if Im wrong :eek:

higher is better

MaryBeth

Thanks a lot guys. You gave me a lot to think about and try. I know thinking that video card is not up to par hurts... Tiger Direct directed me to that one! I am out a chunk of money on that one. My son already turned the graphics as far as he could. I dismissed the video card thinking it WAS up for the gaming. (n)

My son already turned the graphics as far as he could
he turned the graphics "up ?" or" down?" as far as he could:p

you never know, he may have turned them up, thinking that this makes them go faster, when really, lower is faster, you want to trade in quality for speed, Id check just to be sure

RT

MaryBeth said:
Higher is better! :)
Same with RAM (memory), though yours is higher than mine. (y)

Forgive these guys for the tech-speak, they are all lovable geeky folks, just trying to help :cool:

Pehaps I'm re-stating some of the previous suggestions.:eek:

Upgrading RAM is pretty easy, upgrading a processor can be tricky, you have to get your hands 'dirty' and open the case and mess with the motherboard - I wouldn't recommend doing that yourself that unless you've had experience building/working on computers - and judging from your posts here...:rolleyes: ;) :)

The games you've listed are all system demanding - though you might meet the minimum requirements, you may not meet the recommended requirements.

SO, one thing you might try is to reduce the in-game graphic settings in the games' menus. If they will load go to the games menu you will find options for Sound and Video. Some will be Basic settings, some Advanced. Look at the options there. Turn everything down a notch.

Turn off (or reduce) the default Anti-Aliasing (abbreviated AA sometimes) setting, and Anisotropic Filtering (AF). These settings can just kill a game, if set higher than your system can handle.
You might need to lower your screen resolution as well.

I know this may sound like mumbo-jumbo,too, but you'll see these options when you get the game(s) main menu up. But hopefully this might allow gameplay.
For instance: Far Cry has an option to select you computer specs (choose Low for now, when you get to the option...) that automatically sets default parameters that might work for you.

((BTW, BannerGuy, that gamesadvisor link seems dead? I get 'Not authorized to View'))

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online