Is my RAM module bad?!?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

element771

I was trying to upgrade my Gateway SOLO 1450 from by adding a 512 MB chip to the already existing 128 MB. I called Gateway and also went through the crucial.com memory chip selector to make sure I got the right one.

I purchased a KINGMAX 512MB PC133 chip from newegg. When I put the chip in along with the 128 chip. It starts to boot and then I get the following blue screen of death message:

STOP C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \systemroot\system32\sonfig\DEFAULT or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump: (countup) Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

If I take the upgrade ship out then the computer boots fine with the message that it recovered from a serious error:

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 80608809 BCP3 : F8A45A08
BCP4 : F8A45708 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0-0 Product : 768-1

I haver tried swapping the memory around and the same thing happens. I have tried booting with only the 512 memory and I dont even see a boot screen. When both modules are in the BIOS reads Slot1: 128MB Slot2: 512MB.

I have also tried to upgrade video drivers and repairing windows from a boot disk. When I tried to repair the drive, a message said the the C: drive was corrupt and unrepairable.

I was wondering if I just have a bad module or is it some other problem?? If it is a bad module, would the BIOS be able to read that it was a 512 chip??? Thanks for any info anyone can give.

I'm leaning toward a bad module, your spec say it can take 1024mb of ram in two slots, so i have to think a 512 stick is ok, if you tried the 512 stick alone in both slots and still no joy I would send it back for a refund.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online