1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my router up to speed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tennisbum, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tennisbum

tennisbum Thread Starter

I am trying to understand the connection information concerning my router and wireless nic card.

I have Road Runner as my ISP (supposedly the fastest). I have a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router WGT624. A Netgear WG111T 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. A Dell Dimension 2400 P4, 2.8 gHz w/1MB RAM.

Yesterday I ran a dslreports speed test and the results were 5613 Kbs down and 522 Kbs up.

On my "network connection" icon my connection speed is always listed as 108.0 Mbps, but if I open my Netgear WG111T Smart Wizard Wireless Assistant amoung the info listed accross the bottom is as follows: the antenna icon w/my "network name" that I am connected to, "connected to the internet", a "lock" icon, channell 11, 36 Mbps, and the signal strength is always 100%.

My question is this: in that info provided in the wireless assistant, the speed always flucuates between 36 - 56 Mbps, never 108Mbps. What speed is this that is being listed and why is it never 108Mbps??? Shouldn't the router be at 108?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Shouldn't the router be at 108?"

Is that the wireless mode to which you have the router set?

"What speed is this that is being listed and why is it never 108Mbps???"

It's the nominal bandwidth at which you are connected. Below 54Mbps could be because you need to get the latest driver for the adapter or wireless interference. Below 108Mbps could be either of those or because the router is in a different mode or because the router and adapter are not matches (they probably are, but I didn't check that).

Any thing else using this wireless network? Do you get the same results unsecured, with WEP and with WPA(2)?

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The 108 speed is specific to the Super G protocol which was created by Atheros. The issue with the Super G wireless protocol is that it's locked to channel 6. Because of this short coming, if you have lots of other devices operating in the channel 6 space, you're going to get interference and unstable connections. You can set your router to only operate in 108/Super G mode to prevent the stepping down you are seeing. But be prepared for spotty connections.

I have some wireless gear which is Super G capable and I gave up on due to the instability issues.

4. tennisbum

tennisbum Thread Starter

I assume the router and the adapter are matches. They are both Netgear 108Mbps and I purchased them together for use together.

I am going to check on the driver for the router, but I know that the adapter's driver is current.

There is nothing else on this network, just me on my pc. It is only located 5 feet from the adapter and hopefully there is no interference, but I will try moving it around.

I am using WPA-PSK [TKIP], but I will try using all modes.

5. zx10guy

Even though they are matches, the auto negotiation of speed will constantly fluctuate the connection type to create the best connection. This isn't a driver issue. There should be a setting on the router's wireless configuration page to lock in only 108 speed. This will ensure the router and the resultant adapter only communicate at the 108 protocol.

6. tennisbum

tennisbum Thread Starter

I have disabled all security - nothing. I have upgraded the firmware and as a result reset the router back to factory default and started all over again - nothing. No change. I have even moved the router a little further away from the modem - nothing. I did connect with a wired connection and run dsl speedtest and it was about the same as a wireless connection.

I have gone into the "advanced settings" of the "Netgear WG11T Smart Wizard - Wireless Assistant" where the "wireless mode" is listed. There are check boxes for: "108Mbps - 802.11g (2.4GHz)", "54Mbps - 802.11g (2.4GHz)", and 11Mbps - 802.11b (2.4GHz)". They are all checked. However the 54 Mbps box is greyed out. I can uncheck ALL of them and choose ONLY the 11Mbps, but as soon as I check the 108Mbps box the 54Mbps check mark appears and grey's out.

Thank you for responding. I am at a loss. Maybe I am spinning my wheels over nothing, but it just seems to me I should be able to get a reading above 48 Mbps and I simply never do.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is one of the many reasons I dislike the proprietary "turbo" modes of most routers. If you really need more speed than 54mbits, I'd suggest 802.11n, which is a standardized protocol.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you detect other wireless networks? If so, what channel(s).

9. tennisbum

tennisbum Thread Starter

There are 4 other networks broadcasting that I can see. The channels they are on are listed as 1, 6, 11 & 4 - all (g). The mode listed on all is "access point". The closest signal is 56%, then 42, 29 & 27.

I guess I could try to find another place to plug in my modem and router, but would I notice a difference? Don't I remember something about the cable cord needs to be pretty short for the wall to the modem? Right now it's 3 feet. I could move it into another room, but then I really would be stretching my own signal. I am in a 2nd floor condo, so I guess close quarters is an issue?

Am I obessing about something that makes no difference?

10. zx10guy

If you are getting stable wireless connections, yes, you're obsessing too much about this. The network on channel 6 and maybe 4 is probably interferring with your network connection. Also remember this, actual wireless speed is significantly less than the theoretical speed in practice. 54 Mbit G wireless is actually about 20-30 Mbit in real world ideal situations. Even the various N wireless devices out that advertise up to 300 Mbit/s is anything but. Testing I've seen has shown the best N wireless setup being only 70 Mbit/s max. If you want speed, wired is still the only way to go with today's technology.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice