1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my second CPU running??? Please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ongjn, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ongjn

ongjn Thread Starter

Hi Lady & gentlement, I have two Pentium III Xeon 1 Ghz Cpus installed in my UNIX server. But i suspect that my second CPU is not activated and running all the time coz when i issued hw | more, it shows me "There is one CPU on this system.". As far as I know, it is needed to install a program called "SCO symmetrical mulriprocessing" in the software manager in scoadmin. Is it true? without installing this my second CPU won't be running? Please help! Very appreciate!.

Thanks
    ongjn

2. tsunam

tsunam

hmm i take it that your running sco unix in that case since your talking about scoadmin.

In that case yes you need to have Symeterical processing happening so that the kernel recognizes the second cpu. SInce it should be in the kernel as well as what appears to be a application within the system?

3. ongjn

ongjn Thread Starter

Thankyou very much Tsunam. Since there is no SCO symmetrical mulriprocessing being installed in my server, does that mean that my second CPU is not running since the first day? need your advise. :(

Rgds,
    Ongjn

4. tsunam

tsunam

yeah unfortunately it does :( Without it, it won't recognize the second cpu as useable.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

try going uname -a (if that applies here... i know nothing of SCOunix).

If you see SMP, then smp support is enabled in the kernel. Otherwise, i dont know what to do. Best bet there being to call SCO. (Where are you running sco... i've never actually met someone who runs it.)

6. tsunam

tsunam

White, are you sure SCO has a customer support center still? OR will they be directed to the purchase a license hotline ? (sorry had to poke at sco)

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Well if its SCOUnix, i would assume they still stand behind it. OpenLinux on the other hand ... not so sure about. I'd really love to know where this is, and what its advantages over simmilar (free) products are.

8. ongjn

ongjn Thread Starter

Thankyou Tsunam and Whiteskin. Very appreciate your advise.

9. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

What was the output of uname -a?

10. ongjn

ongjn Thread Starter

Hi lady and gentlemen, I have installed the SMP software and i found that my second PCU is running. But I'm dissapointed that both CPUs are running very slow. previously, the CPU usage was pumping up to 97% for a single CPU. But now, the CPU usage is only 2 or 3 % for each CPU. Are there any other settings or configurations after the SMP is installed? Very appreciate your helps.

Thanks
    Jessen

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Thats a GOOD thing. It means that each cpu is handling the load properly. This means that you can do more (unless, you mean all of a sudden tha machine is slow).

12. ongjn

ongjn Thread Starter

At first, i thought that was a good news. But I realize that the processing speed is definately slow.

13. tsunam

tsunam

when your saying the procession speed is definitly slow, are we talking about what used to take 2 seconds to say compile program A) it now takes 30 seconds to compile program a)? or does it just seem to be slower because the cpus arn't being taxed?

14. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I think its that total cpu usage is 30% over both instead of being 90% on one... at least thats how i read it.

15. ongjn

ongjn Thread Starter

I have tested 4 scenarios in our sys12b. Unfortunately, the second CPU doesn't help much in improving the speed. The scenarios are stated as below.

1 CPU with one single process running => 6 mins
    1 CPU with multiple process running => 34 mins

2 CPUs with one single process running => 6 mins
    2 CPUs with multiple process running => 30 mins

As you can see 1 Cpu or 2 Cpus doesn't improve the speed. But ONLY difference is the CPU usage. If 1 CPU is running, the CPU usage will be pumped up to 97%. Where as, if 2 CPUs are in used, the usage of the CPU will only fall on 5 to 6 % for each process.

As a conclusion, the CPU usage is not fully utilized. We need to get the process completed faster not slowing down the speed of CPU. Otherwise the purpose of having 2 CPUs will be defeated.

I have attached the 2 attachments. Please refer to 1cpu_multiprocess.txt. The usage of CPU is up to 40% and total up will be 100%. But in 2cpu_multiprocess.txt, it clearly shows that the processing speed is slow and longer the processing time.

You all are master. I appreciate your help and advise. Please help. Thanks a million...

Rgds,
    Ongjn

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice