1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is Norton even worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by asuss06, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

im getting the feeling in here, and based upon some recent problems im having on my computer, that Norton antivirus is just alot of bells & whistles but not really worth it anymore. i had AVG antivirus recommended to me in here - should i just go with somethnig like that and get rid of norton?

2. karbo

karbo Banned

In my opinion, it has been surpassed a long time ago. And who needs those huge resource hogs anyway? Check out NOD32 and Kaspersky instead.

3. hotskates

hotskates

No.....it protects your computer.......but at what price? I'm letting mine expire in 6 months and switching over to AVG Grisoft which is much less of a resource hog.

4. smeegle

smeegle

I got it free with my ISP but I don't bother to use it.

5. sup2a

sup2a

i think its hopeless...always had problems with it, some people swear by it...but then ask me if i can come and remove it a few weeks later...

6. xrztrx

xrztrx

norton was great back in the 2003 but now its just a resource hog. if u want a free prog go avast or if u dont mind paying go kaspersky or nod32. (kaspersky has better detection rates but nod32 uses less resources.)

7. Bugged_see

Bugged_see

I used Norton for 2-3 years and never really had a problem. Then Norton started using more and more of the system memory and I decided to try others as a "test"

I found AVG to be "ok" but I did not feel confident in it's ability (personally, based on look and feel) I am now (and have been for 3 years) using NOD32 and I have had 0 infections in 3 years and 1 warning (when accessing a friend's external HD)

Personally I think Norton is a waste of resource.

8. PK-her0

PK-her0

I ran AVG for 2 years...my system never crashed or gave me problems...but i installed
    kaspersky and i couldnt believe how much it found...

and nortons...i dont know what to say... i never liked it...i just dont understand why
    everybody buys it...

which brings me to question...is it really bad to have unwanted software...if its not
    affecting your pc's performance...

i read about zombie pc's ...would av software stop this...or is that more to do with
    network security (firewalls etc)

9. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I switched from Norton to AVG 2 years ago & found much improved performance. Recently however, I upgraded to AVG 8 & noticed my performance has slowed. I'll probably give them some time to optimize 8 before I switch, but it'd be a shame if AVG goes the way of Norton.

PK-Her0, if you're talking about viruses that Norton missed then you had a problem. Norton's problems are being a resource hog, not lack of protection. OTOH there's lots of misconception about the protection various programs provide. Can't comment on Kaspersky, Avast, or NOD32 (yet-I'll probably give them a look in the future) but neither NAV or AVG-AV protects against spyware, and it's questionable how much protection they provide against trojans. Neither spyware nor trojans fall into the traditional category of 'virus'. They're both definitely malware, but not virus.

AVG, by the way, has a specific Anti-Malware version that should protect against those. Not sure about Norton but I'd think their Internet Security version would-but am not surprised if their AV version does not. And that, I think, pretty much answers your question about zombie PC's too. Any product advertised as 'Internet Security' should include a firewall. Whether it's a good firewall or not is another question. A product advertised as 'anti-virus' generally would not include a firewall.

10. xrztrx

xrztrx

the antimalware of avg used to be "ewido anti-malware" but its called AVG antispyware now. i have it and so far it doesnt really block malware but only detects and remove them.

11. ACA529

ACA529

No, Norton is not worth it. If you want to PAY for your protection, get Kaspersky. If you don't, get AVG.

12. xrztrx

xrztrx

nope if u want to go free choose avira personal edition free edition or avast home edition

13. ACA529

ACA529

Nope. AVG is the most popular and the best free virus protection software out there.

14. xrztrx

xrztrx

famous?yes best free av? no avg free just doesnt even come close to being compared with avast free and avira nor bitdefender free edition

15. sup2a

sup2a

AVG is certainly not up to the standards Avast is, avast has a much higher detection rate and a much easier interface, it doesn't nag you to update if you choose it not to and has a bit of realtime protection

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice