1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is now a good time to buy laptops? (intelligent question)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CDBongo, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDBongo

CDBongo Thread Starter

I know the best time to buy a computer is never but unfortuantely I must get a laptop.

I was just wondering if there is any MAJOR technology that will bring down the prices of laptops SIGNIFICANTLY within the next month - 1 1/2 months.

The only reason I'm asking is the pentium D a few years back was around $100 cheaper once centrino came out and I don't want to jump that sort of a gun..

Thanks

2. vistashen

vistashen Banned

The prices of laptops is likely to bring as the global economy is not in stable condition where more people are saving the money instead of spending as a result manufacturer may offer a lesser price in order to sell more products. But it cannot be certain in one and half months time.

3. vicks

vicks

Have heard some professionals suggest waiting until fall when the new Windows7 will be available. It is supposed to be a combination of the best of XP/Vista.
    vicks

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What does a link to an article about mobile broadband have to do with the overall price trend of laptops?

People come here looking for advice beyond a blind web search.

5. vistashen

vistashen Banned

DoubleHelix

so whats your sugestion on this topic. Mobile is an electronics computer is a part of electronics. I hope you are aware of it.
    If a chip becomes cheaper entire electronic stuff becomes cheaper.

You have no suggestion on this topic. Whats the point in pointing out without any idea on electronics.

I guess you want to show off yourself more useless posting just to increase your no. of posting. its completely needless to be here in this topic. Its disgusting to point out without any suggestion on the topic.

6. Compiler

Compiler

How long can you hold off? Is your current one still operational?

Windows7 is the only thing really happening. If your budget is in the $600~1000, that'll buy a very good quality Thinkpad or Ideapad notebook with Core2Duo... and that is today's prices. www.lenovo.com

Recommendation, get something with 4GB, the size HD you need.

But if you can wait about July 15~20, there is supposed to be a "ticket/coupon" to get Windows7 for free (DL and DVD) when Win7 ships. That'll be OCT 22.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    CDBongo, please list the intended use of this Laptop, this may help us make a better recommendation. If it is simple Word Processing, Web Browsing, Email, the recommendation may be different than if there would be Graphics detail work, video rendering, or gaming. There are some very good deals out there right now, but the deals depend on the specs and intended use of the laptop.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Yep... for some a 17" model is good, especially for mobile gamers, but that's $800~2500. 15" is typical for todays notebooks. 14" is a bit smaller and lighter, but its smaller size means its text is smaller too. Then we have the netbooks which have 8~11" screens and Pentium3 type CPUs, small keyboards but better than texting on a cellphone and great for portable little browsers. Hence "netbook". These are $250~500.

I have a 15" ThinkPad, almost a year old. I wish the selection of netbooks we have today were around back then. A $350 10" model would have done what I needed - without the weight & space.

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

"The back-to-school period is another time you'll find attractive laptop sales. According to Men's Health's Tech Guide 2008, laptop prices are lowest on average in July, August, and September."
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/140615/when_to_buy_a_laptop.html

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice