Is one of my 'cores' not working?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

-CM7-

I recently bought an E5200 (2.5Ghz) dual core processor. In the last couple of days I've noticed my computer hanging a bit when i go to load up program, or some programs becoming unresponsive. I've scanned for viruses, spyware and malware and all reported back nothing apart from a couple of tracking cookies.

I checked My Computer -> Properties and it reports the processor as being 2.5Ghz. I'm not sure if it said 5.0Ghz before, but something tells me that it should? Anyway I downloaded a utility to test my cpu speed (cpu.visualware.com) and it reported back my processor speed as being 2495mhz. Surely with it being duo core it should say around 5Ghz?

crjdriver

No, why do you think you have a 5gig cpu? You have a cpu with two cores that run @2.5gig each. Trust me it never said 5gig.

There are many reasons why a system slows down;
1 Malware
2 Lack of ram and too many apps running.
3 Poorly designed software
4 A bad driver
5 A hardware problem like high temps, failing pw supply, failing hard drive, etc, etc.

I would post a hijack log in the security forum and have a security person review your log for any malware, etc.

Post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and amount of ram, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online