1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Parallels my best option?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Bosox3, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bosox3

Bosox3 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a macbook c2d / 80 gb HD / 1 gb or ram.

I was wondering which program would work best for what I want to do.
    boot camp or Parallels.

I only want to run Paltalk on windows. Ive heard parallels is my best option while others praise bootcamp.
    *Paltalk is a voice/video chat program/service.*
    Ive contacted paltalk about if theres any thoughts of branching out to mac but havent heard back from them.

also if I decide to use parallels w/ xp home...is 1gb enough ram?

2. rgh1tsg

rgh1tsg

I haven't used Boot Camp so I cannot not recommend it on that basis but I do have Parallels and the main reason I bought it after having tried it out (which you can do for free) is that one can run OS X and Parallels/ WinXP simultaneoulsy. As I understand it Boot Camp operates as the name implies: You can boot with OS X or with Win XP, one or the other, not both for the same session. That does not work for me.

I run with with both OS's open and operating all the time. In fact in the next release of Parallels you will be able to cut and paste and drag between the systems. (You can do that with the beta version now but it's just too buggy to really work with.) I find simultaneous access to be incredibly useful and convienent.

I am running a 2.16 MHz iMac 24" with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB HD. I allocate 50GB to the virtual partition for Windows. And yes, you will need 2 GB. This solution is fast (the Windows side is very fast compared to the WinXP I run on a Panasonic notebook) and good for anything but games. If you want to do video games, Boot Camp might be a better approach since you're not having to "share" the system processor.

Parallels has other advantages BTW since it will run other OS's besides Windows and will run multiple versions of those OS's. It is stable, fast and, so far as I'm concerned good value for the money.

3. Bosox3

Bosox3 Thread Starter

Im going to get extra ram /xp home and parallels within the next week then.

thanks for your help.

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

You might want to at least try Boot Camp first because it is free (now, while it is in beta) and it will be faster because only 1 OS is running. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!