Is Remote Desktop Protocol the same as Terminal Session??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scooby_steve

Hi All,

Just wondering if RDP is the same thing as Terminal Session?

I'm want to know because i havent seen RDP link you back to locally attached printers or shared drives.

Any help would be great. thanks.

Regards
Steve

scooby_steve

Hi,

Just wondering would i need to have TS CALs to be able to use WinXP Pro to RDP to Win 2003 Server?

scooby_steve

Is this because of Microsoft Equivelancy program which stated that if you owned a copy of W2K Pro and you were connecting to W2K Server then you would not need to buy TS CAL. I thougth MS stopped this when someone implemented 2003 Server?

So, ie, owning a copy of WinXP Pro automatically gives you a license and the only time you need to have TS CALs is when connecting from a workstation running W2K Pro? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks again

You do not need Cals just for connecting remotely for administration purposes. If you were using the TS server for users to connect and use applications, then Cals would come into play. You would typically buy them in block according to how many users that were going to be using the Terminal Server (Remote Desktop)

scooby_steve

thanks...

Now i'm a little confused... If i log onto 2003 server via RDP and run a program, say MS Word installed on the server, wouldnt that be loading an application??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online