Is Rhapsody a P2P file share program?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coachdan32

I saw a commercial on TV last night and went to the website, but it didn't give specifics unless you download the software first. I do not want it if it is like kazaa or morpheus. The commercial said it was completely legal, how does it work?

Couriant

James
It looks like it uses the same technology.

My only problem is that if a site says it's completley legal, then something must not be right. Where did you see the commercial?

If you want to go the real source, iTunes Store and Napster are the only two offical online music stores that I know of. They both have prepaid cards available that Target and maybe WalMart.

Rhapsody is all the same like limewire and Itunes... it says its legal because your're actually buying the music instead of downloading it for free... get the picture...

Couriant

James
the only thing is that you are not pay per song... that's what makes my eyebrow go up

coachdan32

Napster is not per song either. They have a plan with a monthly fee and unlimited downloads.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Rhapsody is legal. It's a subscription service that works similarly to Napster. You don't get to download and keep an unlimited number of songs. You get to play them. Big difference. You're paying to listen to streaming audio. It also appears that the software includes a personal audio file library management system similar to iTunes and Windows Media Player.

And, Tidus, Napster's been that way for a long time. Nothing new.

Here's more info on their services. I don't see anything that says unlimited downloads.
http://www.rhapsody.com/services/

Couriant

James
Wow, I must be out of the loop... :)

Sekirt - Great LINK!!! (y) It's about time too!

My $.02 : You can't shut it down because not all of it is illegal (eg anime) and many of the companies aren't even centered in the US.

[edit: update: btw just because some programs use P2P methods doesn't mean they are illegal, its the ones that host copyrighted material; P2P is a technology, and it helps save companies bandwidth]

Couriant

James
well if they did all but music and movies, then they will be fine

anyways, I'm sure that it will filter through to international courts

That doesn't include everywhere, you could set up a company somewhere off in a remote place in South America, and no1 will bug you....well except the bugs. how ironic.

Yah what about the legal transfer of free fansubs across the internet, nothing bad about that tho. You can share music an movies just not copyright. If a hometown band wanted to gain popularity I'd say they'd love to put their music up on P2P, just not all of it. Or home videos. It's how some bands start.

Couriant

James
i agree with you, but the majority of the files shared are copyright which does more damage than good. I'm sure that there will be / is a site that promotes small bands

There are some. Ask cheese. But remember, those sites have to deal with bandwidth. It is much more cost effective to host your album through Bittorrent or a single through a P2P program.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts