1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Service Pack 1 and 2 Just Updates?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Aus_Louie, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aus_Louie

Aus_Louie Thread Starter

Hello All
    I was just wandering if Service Pack 1 and 2 were just updates or do i have to buy them as discs or something?

2. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

I assume you are on windows xp. No, you do not have to buy them. You can get it here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

It includes a wide variety of security updates. When you get service pack 2, it includes the updates in sp1. Make sure you back up before you install it.

3. Aus_Louie

Aus_Louie Thread Starter

Yeah Sorry i shouldve put more specific things into my post yes im on Windows XP and Thanks Heaps :) im sick of buying Microsoft related things they are all to expensive.

Oh and do i need to Download SP 1 first before SP 2 or is it okay to go to SP 2 straight away?

4. vesselle

vesselle

i think you do need to dl SP1 first.

5. Aus_Louie

Aus_Louie Thread Starter

Bummer i just went over 10gigs and capped to 64kilabits... so its gonna take like 3 hours to download it... still its probably for the best as i can't install my Sound Driver as it needs Service Pack 2 lol

6. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

System Requirements: To install SP2, you need a PC running Microsoft Windows XP which has at minimum a CD-ROM drive, a 233-Mhz processor, 64MB RAM, and 900MB of available disk space during installation.

That is from microsoft. Again, no you dont need SP1 (I can tell you this from experience)

7. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

make sure you are using windowsupdate rather than downloading sp2 manually. If you use windows update, it will only download the parts you need rather than the whole thing.

8. Aus_Louie

Aus_Louie Thread Starter

alright awesome my computer is way up to its requirements, the thing is i had SP2 on this hard drive before i formatted it but i didn't install it the computer guy did lol

Thanks So much Jakbrud you've been a great deal of help :)

9. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

And a quick note to anyone reading this... Using Windows Update to install SP2 is an option that uses less bandwith, and only downloads what is necissary, but if you download SP2 to a disk on an updated computer, and then use that when installing a new copy of Windows before connecting to the internet you are going to be much less vunerable. I have heard of instances where people get spyware, viruses, and hacked within a few hours of installing Windows before SP1 and SP2 get installed... Doesn't happen often, but its much safer to install from a disk before ever connecting your computer to the internet.

10. Aus_Louie

Aus_Louie Thread Starter

OMG it downloaded through Windows Update program and when it was installing it said it couldnt finish installing and removed all of the SP2 files it put on there! i called up my main Computer Man and he said that downloading SP2 is not good and he will give me a copy of SP2 on a disc tommorow.. so all is good.

Oh and by the way my Copy of Windows is Legit i bought it so it is not a illegal version and has a proper CD key. it has been installed on this hard drive before but i formmated it and i activated it before it was formmated so umm it might be thinking im installing this edition of Windows on another Computer and Microsoft doesnt allow it and it's not allowing me to install SP2 or am i wrong?

11. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

No, I've reinstalled a legal copy of Windows on the same computer more than once and never had a problem.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

No that is incorrect as Sp2 contains Sp1.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. St. Clair

St. Clair

I need to take the plunge and go to SP2. Is there a list of programme compatibility issues anywhere ? I assume I need to do a restore point and a backup of whatever. Can you advise how far I need to backup, i.e. My Documents, my programmes, plus ???? I am currently on about 50% full on my 120 Gb hard, I have the old hard drive in there as well but it's pretty small and outdated. My main concern is my Family History data, it's on Family Tree Maker 2006.
    Regards.

15. prunejuice

prunejuice

Windows Update does not support pre-SP1 installations.
    You have to get SP1 first (you can get it from Microsoft), and then you can use Windows Update, custom or automatic installs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice