1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is sli worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skyewz, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skyewz

Skyewz Thread Starter

Hi im deciding to upgrade my graphics card so i can play vr and i bought a GTX1060 and currently im running a GTX 950 but my motherboard doesnt support SLI. So the question is should i buy a graphics card and an SLI bridge so i can run SLI or should i just run just the GTX 1060?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

I would try things with just the 1060 and see if you are happy with the graphics; if not you could go for SLI then.

Skyewz likes this.
  3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If your mobo doesnt support SLI then a bridge isnt going to change that. A bridge si just a connector over the top of the cards, AFAIK both need to be plugged into a suitable socket on the mobo. Not supported means just that- otherwise there would be no need fo rSLI support!
    As far as the cards go, if you get a 1060 and SLI it with a 950, they will both run at the lower speed. I would go with just a 1060, as this SHOULD givebetter performance that SLI with th e2 you mention. Of course, that would need a supporting mobo, and I guess that isnt what you are looking for.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Gulo is correct about your motherboard has to support SLI.

A few years ago, I went crazy and did SLI on two different generations of Nvidia GPUs. What I've found is in the end it wasn't worth it for me. For the gaming I did and do now, it's just not worth the headaches and issues. First, you're going to deal with a lot of heat being pumped out the back of your PC case. This heat is also going to eventually cause reliability issues with the GPUs. Both SLI setups eventually resulted in failed GPUs. Next is system stability issues. I experienced too many system crashes for my tastes.

So my philosophy now is to buy the most powerful GPU I can afford stretching the budget and then calling it quits. If the GPU starts to falter due to the games I'm playing, then I'll just upgrade the GPU at that time. I'm not a pro gamer nor do I run crazy resolutions on multiple screens with a bunch of stuff turned on looking for the highest FPS. This logic has served me well as I haven't touched my gaming PC in years other than upgrading the SSD storage in it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice