Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is someone able to find my IP on discord by using Java?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Xsage 
#1 ·
Hello there! So I’ve had someone say they can track my IP address with discord through Java ? Everyone I’ve asked said it’s near impossible to do and that the person is just talking crap and trying to scare me, the person said “ I can track your IP by using Java and HTML “ I’m not tech savy so idk exactly what this means but from what I was told it sounds like something out of a csi episode. I’ve tried reporting the incident but they’ve deleted what they said....thanks in advance !

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
They might be able to find out your current ip address thru Java, as discord seems to be written in java. But you can change your ip address just by unplugging your modem. And even if you can't, (some ISP's don't change ip addresses for a long time) the question is what can they do just knowing your ip address? They would have to be some brilliant hacker to try and hack you through the front door with your ip address, which has a NAT router and firewall, and then another firewall in Windows, and then the quite strong Defender antivirus built into Windows 10. Where there's a will there's a way they say, but there's a lot of defenses that he has to break/slip through. If you have an updated Windows, and up to date browser, then there is less of a chance that he's going to get through.

#4 ·
The IP address that they may find is the one assigned by your ISP, as stated above.
BUT, it will be the one that the Modem/Router will be using. Then each device connected to that modem/router will have a different local IP.

#5 ·
If I was a threat actor attacking someone via discord, the easiest and most effective vector I would use is to share a file or a link with a malicious payload for the victim to download. So be careful what you click on from people you don't know/trust on discord.

Even in knowing your IP address, the damage they can do is very limited. As long as you have a supported and up-to-date router, and you don't have any services visable through open ports, for example you aren't hosting any public websites from your home. Then they can't gain access to your network.

The only other feasable attack they could do is a denial of service attack, which is where they find some kind of endpoint that recieves external requests and spam it with packets to slow your router down and thereby slowing or cutting off your connection to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.