1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is someone logged onto my computer???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 202e, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 202e

202e Thread Starter

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it is possbile for someone else to be logged onto my computer???

I got a new HP scanner/printer at Christmas and when it installed it changed the way my computer starts up. It used to go directly to my desktop before. But now it shows me a blue screen and I have to click on "Owner" to go to my desktop. I have no idea how this changed.

But I noticed something else today, that when I went to shut down my computer, I got a message that said something to the effect that "there are other people logged on to this computer and they might lose data by shutting down". Those aren't the exact words, but basically is what it said.

How can other people be looged into my computer??? Does this mean my computer has been hacked and someone is taking my information??

I use Windows XP

I appreciiate any help!!!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Start > run > control userpasswords2

Uncheck the box "Users must enter a username and password ......."
    Type in your username on the next screen.

Make sure you have Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance disabled as well.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Check windows update and that you have all your Windows .net framework updated past 1.0 windows .net ads another user account and forces the welcom screen to appear. Run all the rest of the .net framework updates from Windows Update. The versions are 1.0 1.1 and I think its now at 2.0 and you should see the welcome screen disappear again.

If you were using anything that has to do with asp.net then you very well may have the other user activated on the machine. Or if you simply logged on as it then opened 1 folder and changed back to your Owner profile it too would give you the same error.

You can see more on it here - http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435217