1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is Stopzilla up to no good?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Calmseer, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calmseer

Calmseer Thread Starter

I paid for and installed StopZilla on my old desktop in September.

Got a new desktop in October or November. I'm lazy, but finally decided today that I ought to get Stopzilla installed. Upon attempting to install it and enter my activation key, I received a message telling me that my activation key was invalid and urging me to call 1-877-877-9944. I called and got a tech support guy who sounded Indian. No big deal, lots of companies seem to outsource their tech support departments to other countries.

But suddenly my tech support call began sounding and looking almost exactly like this:

http://youtu.be/MuCFlR-YNdc

India had me go to www.logmein123.com and enter a code that allowed him to look around inside my computer and move my mouse. He opens some kind of log and starts showing me all these errors in my system. He asks me how old the computer is, and I told him about a month. He asks me how much I paid for it ($500), whether that was just for the computer or for both the computer and the monitor (just the computer). He also asked me what I do for a living. I thought these were kind of weird questions. I've never had a tech support guy ask me about what I do for a living.

India tells me that my computer has all kinds of "user" errors and is in critical condition and needs a "Microsoft Certified" technician to look at it. He asks how many other computers I have that use the same router or network, and I said 4 (one desktop, one laptop, two netbooks). He says that anyone can hack my computer and this is a huge security risk. He starts explaining that I can have a "Microsoft Certified" technician fix this and it will cost $300-400 and my computers will have to be gone for two weeks, or he can transfer me to another department and they can fix it for me over the phone and insure that my computers will be safe for a year.

I say that I would much rather just do system restores on all of my machines. He says that the "brain" of my computer is corrupted and a system restore won't fix it. I say that my university has a magnificent technical support department and I'm sure that they can look at my computers and figure out what's wrong with them (they removed an extremely malicious, hard-to-remove keylogger from my husband's laptop back in February). He says only a "Microsoft Certified" technician can fix this. I say that my computer is under warrantee and has a two-year service plan and if it's this busted I'll just send it back to Wal-Mart. He says that they'll just reformat the hard-drive and send it back to me and the threat will persist. I say that I need to discuss this with my husband, who is really good with computers. He says that this is a very pressing threat and I need to take care of it immediately.

Now, as may be obvious by now, I'm not the most computer-savvy person in the world, but when someone is trying to rush me into putting down $300 for a problem that I never knew existed until they told me it did, and they insist that they're the only ones who can conveniently fix my problem, and they don't want me to consult with a knowledgeable person before buying, that just raises a world of red flags for me. At this point I quietly pulled out my modem to terminate his LogMeIn access and hung up the phone.

I called StopZilla again about an hour later, this time calling the number in my activation e-mail rather than the number from the "registration failed" prompt (1-877-372-3902) and spoke with someone else, this time an American. I described everything above that happened earlier and mentioned that I'd been googling and checking YouTube and it seemed to be a scam. America tells me that it most certainly is not a scam, it's a real service StopZilla offers.

So, what the hell is StopZilla trying to pull? Can anyone enlighten me here? Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice