Is 'stream' the right word?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mphair

Here is what i have:
I have all my music, in mp3 format, on a linux box at my parents house.
I have a laptop that is slowly running out of room because of the amount of music i listen to.
I (will in 2 days) have a FiOS 2mb/s upload that i want to take advantage of.
WinXP installed on a laptop with a very fast internet connection at my college.

Here is what i want to do:
run a media player with random, next song, last song, pause, stop, play functionality from my laptop at school to play through my speakers at school. I want to store all of my music on my linux box but listen to it at school. pretty much a linux version of sharing your music through itunes and having people login to it. I would also like it to be not too much of a heavy install (maybe just through putty if possible) on my laptop.

So far i've gone through Icecast, Ices, litestream, and many others. a lot i saw could only stream live audio from the sound card, other could only read an odd format which i assume was a linux format (ogg?) all i found would not let the client (listener) control the music in any way.

Is this possible?
If it is, what do I need to download?
If it is, how would I get it set up?
And more various questions of similar base...

Thanks in advance,
-mphair

Icecast supports mp3 streaming, and if you setup it fully, you'd no doubt notice that if you log in as the admin instead of a user, you can control the stream and change the playback of files, add delete etc.

http://edna.sourceforge.net/ just found this and looks quite likely what you'd like you want, doesn't seem to be too dificult to setup either.

none of the streamservers should have any real config beyond installing the packages and configuring a few config files.

As far as not knowing what ogg is thats a shame. OGG is actually a container for what is called the ogg vorbis codec, it can also act as a container for video as well. Find out more at http://www.vorbis.com/

mphair

have you ever setup the edna thing? i tried to follow the directions but on the page it says it will go into an infinite loop, but i get an error "ImportError: No module named ezt"
in the errorlog, when i run it:
"edna: bind(): Cannot assign requested address"

thanks,
mphair

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online