Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is the 2 ms ping a normal thing?

Tags
speedtest
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cjvdg 
#1 ·
Hello! I tried to speed test our internet here. Is the 2 ms ping a normal thing or it is too low? What is the normal ms of a ping? Thank you!

Sky Font Violet Electric blue Circle

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200309092749.000000+480
Processor: AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 48 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Fresco Logic IDDCX Adapter
Hard Drives: C: 310 GB (133 GB Free); D: 155 GB (107 GB Free); E: 314 GB (272 GB Free); G: 151 GB (149 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. F2A68HM-S1, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
PING stands for Packet Internet Groper. It's a subset of utilities that fall under ICMP. Doing a ping test means a packet is sent to a destination and the time it takes to get a reply is measured. This delay as there will always be some level of delay is called latency; in this case measured in milliseconds (ms). The lower the latency time measured by ping the better. So 2 ms is very very good. On my Comcast service I usually get 15 ms. 2 ms is similar to what you would get when you do a ping test between devices on your own local network.

#5 ·
Agreed. The closet to 1ms is the best you can get. The higher it is, the more chance of an issue while using the internet.
It is very good but unrealistic.
Very likely due to you being close to test server.

If you want more accurate results, run ping command toward servers that are acting slower than what you expect.

In general ping below 50 is good and ping above 100 is bad.
Thank you for the replies. I'm just making sure since I barely saw any screenshots that are below 50 so I thought ours had a problem. I get it now. Thanks again!

#4 ·
Is the 2 ms ping a normal thing or it is too low?
It is very good but unrealistic.
Very likely due to you being close to test server.

If you want more accurate results, run ping command toward servers that are acting slower than what you expect.

In general ping below 50 is good and ping above 100 is bad.

Reactions: cjvdg
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.