Is the Dell Optiplex Refurbished good for Gaming?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Will.Li

I’m thinking about purchasing a Dell Optiplex because it’s so cheap and has 8gb ram to 16 gb ram depending on the model. I want to know if it’s good for gaming and is it worth it?

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
depends on the processor as well.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I've bought several refurbished Dell OptiPlex minitowers since 2011.
All of them have the hardware to perform normal computing functions, but not hard-core gaming.

You didn't say which model and case size you're interested in.
You also didn't say which processor and graphic device and power supply it has.

The amount of RAM it has will not by itself make it capable of hard-core gaming.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Will.Li

I've bought several refurbished Dell OptiPlex minitowers since 2011.
All of them have the hardware to perform normal computing functions, but not hard-core gaming.

You didn't say which model and case size you're interested in.
You also didn't say which processor and graphic device and power supply it has.

The amount of RAM it has will not by itself make it capable of hard-core gaming.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I’m thinking about the Dell OptiPlex 790

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
If it's what I think it is, those are about 5 years old. We just removed those from our circulation. The video most likely will not run well.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
The Dell OptiPlex 790 comes in 4 case sizes:
Mini Tower (has a 265W power supply)
Desktop (has a 250W power supply)
Small Form Factor (has a 240W power supply)
Ultra Small Form Factor (has a 200W power supply)

Even if you purchase one that has one of the faster Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processor models, its integrated Intel HD graphic device probably won't be suitable for gaming.

A decent performing graphic card and a quality power supply with sufficient wattage will need to be purchased and added.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The games will run on an i-7 or i-5. But depending on your personal taste, the resolution the games will run at may not be good enough, or the frame rate may not be high enough to your liking.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online