Solved Is the Intel Core I3 a good cpu?

Kapustin Yar

It says it is 1.2 ghz. It also says its intel 10 generation. So I'm confused I have a cpu on my desktop that is 3.1ghz, one on my laptop that is 2.1 and now one on this supposedly modern device (a touch screen) that is 1.2. Why is this, are the numbers going down as the cpu's are getting faster?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to what you said:
Your "desktop" has an Intel processor which is rated at 3.10 GHz.
Your "laptop" has an Intel processor which is rated at 2.10 GHz.
Your "modern device (a touch screen)" has a 10th generation Intel processor which is rated at 1.20 GHz.

There are hundreds of different Intel processors, so we need to know the exact description of those 3 processors.
We should then be able to show you what their performance ratings are.

-------------------------------------------------

Kapustin Yar

According to what you said:
Your "desktop" has an Intel processor which is rated at 3.10 GHz.
Your "laptop" has an Intel processor which is rated at 2.10 GHz.
Your "modern device (a touch screen)" has a 10th generation Intel processor which is rated at 1.20 GHz.

There are hundreds of different Intel processors, so we need to know the exact description of those 3 processors.
We should then be able to show you what their performance ratings are.

-------------------------------------------------
It is on this one here under 'specifications':
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-...=215117607&wl11=online&wl12=410372666&veh=sem

The clock speed is listed as 1.1ghz which isn't very fast but it also says "Processor: Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000" which says here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Processor:+Intel®+Pentium®+Silver+N5000+clock+speed&rlz=1C1AWFC_enUS893US893&oq=Processor:+Intel®+Pentium®+Silver+N5000+clock+speed&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.5135j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That its speed is 2.7ghz. Which is the true speed? 1.1 or 2.7?

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Intel Pentium Silver N5000 is not a "10th generation" or a "Core i3" processor.
It has a base speed of 1.10 GHz and a turbo speed of 1.70 GHz.
It has an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 605 graphics device.
The below images show you the performance ratings for that processor and graphics device.

cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

That laptop sells at Wal-Mart for $386.00, so it's a cheap consumer level model.
If you plan to use it only for basic functions, it should work okay for that.
If you plan to use it for gaming or anything that's system/graphics hungry, you will be disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
So basically you have a tablet in a laptop body. if you plan on doing any multitasking at all.....I wouldn't recommend doing so with that....what ever you call it HP laptop.

This is why I never recommend buying those entry level laptops from retail big box stores.

Kapustin Yar

The Intel Pentium Silver N5000 is not a "10th generation" or a "Core i3" processor.
It has a base speed of 1.10 GHz and a turbo speed of 1.70 GHz.
It has an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 605 graphics device.
The below images show you the performance ratings for that processor and graphics device.

View attachment 277487

View attachment 277488

That laptop sells at Wal-Mart for $386.00, so it's a cheap consumer level model.
If you plan to use it only for basic functions, it should work okay for that.
If you plan to use it for gaming or anything that's system/graphics hungry, you will be disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------
Thank you for answering my question. I am aware this is a cheap computer. That is why I am only paying 3 hundred for it. I only want it for email and surfing the web. However I want to know what the difference between clock speed and turbo speed.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The base clock speed is what the processor runs at when it's under normal use - such as browsing and email.
The turbo/boost clock speed is what the processor runs at when its under heavy use - such as gaming.

------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online