Is the Intel HD Graphics 4400 enough for video editing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

txcipack

Christopher
I have built like two computers before, but I am still a bit confused on a very few things. I am planning to build a new custom rig and order the parts online tomorrow once I am 100% sure on everything.

This purpose is for light video editing and average gaming. To be more specific, I want to record game play from my gaming console, edit them with Adobe Premier, and upload to YouTube in HD, with maybe some commentary. On the gaming side of things, I want to play games like Minecraft and Fallout. I have no intentions on live streaming yet. The problem is that I am sort of on a tight budget right now.

The parts that I have selected for this build can be found here:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7wgDBm

Basically, the stock CPU cooler will be used, the built-in graphics in the Intel CPU will be used, and 8GB of RAM. Of course I will upgrade later, but will this be enough for now? Suggestions or is it good as is?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm posting your computer parts list here so it's quicker and easier to view.

Capture.JPG

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never built a computer from scratch, and I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, so my input here is limited.
Hopefully, some of those here (crjdriver, Triple6, Tanis, etc.) who are will jump in.

Intel Core i3-4170 3.70 GHz processor
It uses 54 watts and has an average benchmark score of 5171.

ASRock H97M Pro4 motherboard
It has an integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 device which has an average benchmark score of 547.
You definitely need to add a graphics card that supports Windows 10 and can handle the demands of gaming and video editing.
I'm partial to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 which uses 64 watts and has an average benchmark score of 1571.

Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze-Certified 500 watts power supply
It's a budget-level power supply and isn't designed for a gaming computer.
A better quality series and one with more wattage is recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Tanis

Shane
Personally, I wouldn't go for anything less than an i5 if you are intending to do CPU intensive tasks, for gaming you really want a dedicated GPU ideally, the on board graphics will seriously struggle. I am running a GTX570 (old but still reasonable) and it maxxes out running Fallout 4 at medium graphics, that on a Core i5 with 8Gb RAM. The i3 will struggle with editing and will take extended periods of time to process jobs.

The CX PSU will be OK if you are not using a dedicated GPU, however if you are planning to upgrade in the future it may be worth planning the better PSU now.

What sort of budget are you looking at, you may get better 'bang for buck' going for an AMD CPU if you are limited the i3 level from Intel.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online