1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is the motherboard dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pantsdavies, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pantsdavies

pantsdavies Thread Starter

Hi people, got a slight problem, a friends computer would not start up,switched off at back of PSU then unpluged the mains cable, then after putting the cable back in and switching on the PSU went BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!big sparks and computer was dead

susspecting the PSU had gone a bought a replacement 300w one, now then plug in all cables to test and powered up the computer and all was well, puter started up okay, played around with it for half hour then switched off to refit PSU propally and replace panels,,,,,,,,after doing this the computer wouldnt start up again, im stumped ive checked all cable ,im positive I didnt damage anything putting the PSU back in!!!!!!!

any ideas?, power supply is defo working because I gave it to a friend to borrow and it starts his computer up fine

have I damaged the mobo, is there any test i can do?

any help would be great cheers people

2. norton850

norton850

Does the system seem completely dead? No fans or anything? Is the LED on the MB lit?

3. pantsdavies

no , dead as flares it is, no light on mobo, PSU defo is working
    thanks

4. pantsdavies

sorry yes I mean no lights, no fans
    regards

5. norton850

norton850

Just double check obvious things if you haven't done so like the power cord, power strip and outlet.

6. pantsdavies

yes done these things, could the psu blowing up damage the mobo or processor do you think?

cheers

7. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

I dont think its your cpu or processor as they were just working before you installed your psu. I would suspect the psu u just got....have you tried another powere supply?

8. pantsdavies

will try that tonight cheers
    regards

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually I am thinking just the opposite. When a power supply blows like that it frequently takes the motherboard out with it

10. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

But why would the pc work with the new PSU? and then stop... Trying a diff psu is the first thing i would try...that would route you to the mobo if it didnt effect nething

11. pantsdavies

cheers fella, tried a different psu but still dead, so tried my processer in another mobo with the psu I bought and it started up lovely, so I think we can saftly say the mobo has gone, Its a socket A so im guessing £20 for a new one

Thanks again for your help
    pantsdavies

12. pantsdavies

cheers, fellas, changed mobo and used the same psu and all is well
    thanks again for all your help
    regards
    Pantsdavies

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice