1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is the problem the AC Adapter, the battery, or the port?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blaze1123, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaze1123

blaze1123 Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire 5740-5780 series laptop. There are two lights side by side on the laptop near the mouse touchpad. One indicates when the computer is plugged in, and one indicates the battery's status. If the battery is fully charged, and the laptop is plugged in, both will be blue. If the battery is charging, it will be orange.

Recently, the battery was dying; so I bought a replacement. It worked fine at first; but I noticed that, when I would charge the new battery, the battery indicator light would be orange for just a few seconds. Then it would go off completely, then turn blue very briefly, and then it would turn back to orange, and continue this process. The battery would eventually charge fully, but needless to say, this was really messing up the battery. Within a couple of weeks, the battery was dying, and Amazon gave me a replacement. Unfortunately, I realize now after this is happening again with the second replacement battery, that the problem must not be with the battery.

So here is my question. Do you think the problem is with the AC adapter or with the connection between the AC adapter and the laptop? A new adapter is not that expensive, and the laptop is over 3 years old; so I could see that being the problem, but I don't want to buy one if it's not going to do any good.

The reason I am confused is that the laptop works fine when plugged in without a battery even being in it. There is seemingly no loose connection at the port, and the cord seems to keep a steady stream of power going. The problem happens when I need the battery to recharge; the indicator light flickers; the battery dies.

Any thoughts about what needs fixed?

2. Chris A

Chris A

3. blaze1123

blaze1123 Thread Starter

The updating of the BIOS didn't seem to help. From the sounds of it, that has helped other people, and my BIOS was definitely out of date; so I went to Acer, did the update, but still the battery charging is not working properly. Orange light, off, blue light; orange light, off, blue light...

Any other ideas out there?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice