1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is the Processor a PII or PIII or PIV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rodwell, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rodwell

Rodwell Thread Starter

Is the Processor a PII or PIII or PIV?

Someone is trying to sell me a home PC. How can I be sure it is Pentium what? Which Pentium is durable/reliable? Which processor make can you recommend? Money is not the problem but just how can I be accurate on the processor size? He says it is a PENTIUM II or PENTIUM III or PENTIUM IV. Where can I read this on the computer for myself?

The other thing is the HARDDISK. Someone told me I have to be careful about the choice of the HardDisk make as some are packing quickly. So which harddisk make can you recommend? How can I measure its efficiency? Where do I read it for myself? How can I be sure he has not just fixed up the parts and cooked the size?

Please urgently help me.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Rodwell.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Belarc should tell you what you want to know about the machine.

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Go to System Information. This will tell you which version of Windows is installed, the cpu version, the amount of memory installed and your BIOS. Go into Device Manager and it will show/tell the various components installed in the system.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Is this a NEW or USED system? How much is it and what is it you're supposed to be getting? It sounds like a used system - and its from someone who doesn't KNOW what it is PII-PIII-P4, well that MAKES a big difference in value. A typical PII system is worth about $100, a PIII about $200~300, a P4 about $400~1000.

Is this from a trusted a friend or a stranger?

Right click on MY COMPUTER, select "properties" - it should tell you OS, CPU and memory.
    Go into Device Manger - and look at the HDs, write down what it says, you may be able to GOGGLE it and see what it is (sometimes its in english like (IBM_604xG2A), others its very cryptic.

5. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i have an amd athlon 1002mhz. ive had it for 2 and a half years, and it's been great for me. it depends on what you plan on using the computer for... if it's for games, then i'd say go with a PIV. the only thing i'd tell you not to get, is a celeron, but everyone will tell you something different.

6. zeddy

zeddy

Games - bang for buck = Athon 2500+ Barton not PIV.

7. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

Zeddy probably knows more than i do, Rodwell...

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

P4 for games?

Until you get to the 2.8Ghz P4, the AMD tends to be faster than the P4... except for Media Encoding (MAKING Mp3s & Divix files) and 3D Rendering. P4's strengths is single tasking, doing the same job over and over again, hence it has a higher clock rate for which it was designed.

For games, the difference between the P4 can vary to + or - 12fps... I'm not going to pay an extra $100~400 for 12frames per second.

For desktop performance (MS Word, internet etc) Even the $75 AMD 2500 (1.8Ghz) out scores the $700 P4 3.2 with HT.

I've had P4 owners (ONline while in a game) say "AMD IS SLOW, it sucks" - er? DUDE, I'm GETTING more FPS than you are!

So... for most people, AMD is all a person needs. If their WORK or School major is 3D Rendering or Video Editing - then the P4 will save them 3~15% in time. (This is when you tell the computer to DO A JOB and you turn off the monitor and go to bed or grab a lunch).

While I prefer to NOT do business with Intel (I only built one P4 system, and it was a repair for a failed self built), if AMD didn't have the performance - I wouldn't buy or sell them. I never owned an AMD K6 or older CPU, I had friend who bought these chips and they were never as fast as my PII or Celeron 366Mhz CPU.

9. pronute

pronute

If the seller dosen't know what it is, then that may give you a clue as to what you should do,...........run away far away!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice