1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is the Seagate gonna last .......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abbyk, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abbyk

abbyk Thread Starter

Hello everyone:)

I'm a little perplexed over what to do with my Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB hard drive.

I bought it on 11-11-2002 so I have only 10 days until the warranty runs out.....:eek:

The drive was a beauty - pretty quick and oh so quiet - and totally reliable - until around 3 or 4 months ago when i got my 1st bad sector. After that I received a handful of warnings from my bios that S.M.A.R.T status was BAD & the drive should be replaced - and another bad sector.
    Indeed running Seagate's Seatools diagnostic software confirmed my drive was bad & needed replacing.

It took me a while to manage the cash for a replacement as my reseller would not ship a replacement in advance.

3months later....

So With a new IBM/Hitatchi 180GXP 120GB, I transferred all of my data safely to the new drive (phew).

I checked again and seatools confirmed the drive had physical defects and needed replacing.
    Before returning the drive I thought it common sense to write zeros to the drive, which I did with Seagate's Discwizard software.

Then I ran seatools again to check the error message & guess what......?
    .........."NO PROBLEMS FOUND" :confused:
    So did an intensive diagnostic - and again no problems.

Ok then - so I can't send it back now if its coming up fine - they'll probably just send it back to me!

So reformatted & set it up as a second drive just for storage/backup. Ran a full scandisc - fine. Even the bad sectors seem to have disappeared.

The drive does seem to be running fine.

I use a cool freeware app Speedfan 4.02 to monitor my chip, board and drive temperatures. It also has a drive S.M.A.R.T reort tool which is telling me the drive's fitness is not so good, about 45%, the IBM is 100%. (Screenshots attatched)

I'm still insecure whether this drive may last for years yet or is destined to failure in the near future.

Should I stick with it & hope it will be ok, or insist the reseller replace it as it has failed before ?

Any knowledgable comments will be much appreciated

abbyk

Attached Files:

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i would definately contact seagate, as i also have a seagate barracuda, and i just found out that there was a couple of models they made that same year (2002) that became corrupt after being exposed to heat and/or humidity of temperatures that it should be able to withstand.

3. abbyk

abbyk Thread Starter

Hey thanks Kerri Ann :)

I'll email seagate direct then u think ?

abbyk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice