1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is the socket 775 damaged?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adamastorx, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adamastorx

Adamastorx Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm a semi noob... :) I've changed changed computers parts and components lots of times and working with computers for years and years, but this is the first time I'm building my system from scratch... As a first timer, I'm afraid I've damaged my motherboard... Here's my specs:

Core 2 Duo E8500
    Asus P5Q Pro
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX
    Corsair VX550W
    Asus Silent Square Pro cooler

So, I put my system together 5 days ago, it was working fine - well, I had to replace my first PSU for another one; the first Corsair was DOA. Anyway, the system was ok, though I got temps around 70-72 ºC when gaming... Ambient temperature is 23-25 ºC. As I had already ordered a bigger cooler than the stock one, so I didn't got too stressed over this temps. Yesterday I mounted the new cooler - Asus Silent Square Pro. It was a bit hard to put in the strange pin and I was afraid to be forcing the mobo parts... But the truth is you realy have to push that thing over the mount, that is over the socket/cpu... I took a break, read again some forums and realize that you have to force a bit to get the cooler in place in the supplied mount support. I decided to take the CPU out, clean it again and reapply the thermal paste, because with so many seating tryouts it was a bit messy. It was not the first time, I did it without problem... And then the error... I distracted for a moment answering the phone and when I went to seat the CPU on the socket I didn't realize the motherboard was faced the opposte way... So, I seated incorrectly the CPU, close the tap and pulled the lever without notice that the dots didn't match! And it was not the first time I did is... Anyway, it some crack noise but the lever didn't get stuck... I looked and I didn't see bended pins in the motherboard socket and apparently there was no damage in the cpu... So I seated once again the cooler and this time I manage to mount it over the mount support... Once again I thought you have to force the parts a bit, but I've heard that it's normal.... So, I put everything together and there's no power. The motherboard led is green, but when I press the button, nothing happens...
    I've tried with it the original stock cooler, nothing. With another PSU, nothing... Have I manage to damage the motherboard (I hope not the CPU) with a stupid and so common mistake?! I would like to hear some ideas, please.

Thanks in advance!

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

The only way to solve the issue is to replace the items in question $$$$

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you bent the contacts in the processor socket then the board is surely ruined. You MAY have also damaged the pads on the processor, and should carefully inspect them before installing the processor in a new board.

Here is a video of how to install a socket 775 processor, and how to examine both the board socket and the processor contacts by observing changing light patterns on both.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...processor/processors/core2duo/tech/100617.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice