1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is there a diff. b/w ata and ide cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ubamous3, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

is there a difference between ultra ata connection cable and just regular ide cable?

my computer has 5 HD's so the case is kinda big, and the ultra ata cable that came with the 160gig HD is too short to reach, so my consultant bought a longer ide cable, but when she connects with the ide cable, it doesnt see that HD; so i wonder if they r diff. technology or what the cause might be.

thanks.

2. moebius

moebius

u are most probably connecting a u-ata and an ata drive on the same ide channel. this usually causes problems. try connecting the 160gig alone.if ur hard-drive is serial ata then u need to connect it to a seperate port and enable serial ata from the bios or motherboard/jumpers

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are basically two varieties of flat IDE cables, 40 conductor and 80 conductor. Your Ultra ATA cable is most certainly the 80 conductor cable, and the longer one is probably a 40 conductor cable.

It's pretty easy to identify which is which, just look at the cable, you can see the finer pitch of the 80 conductors clearly on the shorter cable.

Since the 80 conductor cables normally also support CS (cable select), and many of the 40 conductor cables don't, that's another reason the drive won't be seen.

Don't use the 40 conductor cable for hard disks, unless you want to sacrifice a huge amount of performance. You can buy longer 80 conductor cables, do a search on www.pricewatch.com

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sounds like you need a new consultant, using the proper cables to hook up a HD is pretty basic stuff. 80 wire cables have colored ends (usually blue for the mobo), while 40 wires are just grey.

5. pronute

pronute

Most large volume hard drives manufacturer recommends not using long cable length because of low signal strength, you should think about moving the hard drive closer to the IDE connecters on the Motherboard and use the provided cable.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've had no difficulties with a 24" 80 conductor cable instead of the 18" standard length one on a variety of systems. In many tower cases, it's not possible to move all the IDE devices that close to the IDE connectors...

7. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thanks guys; that's what i thought when she bought the ide cable

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice