1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Is there a faster write 256GB MicroSD card than this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I recently got a tablet with only 256GB of storage which is adequate nearly all the time; but, I would like the added convenience of an additional 256GB for the tablet's in-built MicroSD slot. I'm looking at this card with an advertised write speed of "Up to 90MB/s". (Yes, I know that is only burst rate but others are rated only 10- or 20MB/s and I assume those pitiful speeds are also burst rates.)

So, my question is whether there are 256GB MicroSD cards that are faster? (So far, I have found none.)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The first issue to check is that your tablet can write directly to the SD card - not all tablets can do this

3. Alex Ethridge

Having written in my initial post "I would like the added convenience of an additional 256GB for the tablet's in-built MicroSD slot", I don't know the meaning of your suggestion.

4. Macboatmaster

Yes I read your post
    Extra storage, and which write speed you need for that storage is to some extent a rather irrelevant question until you establish if your tablet can use the external SD card as the primary write medium

If you were for instance recording a video clip using the inbuilt camera and the primary write must be to the internal storage then the speed of write to the external SD card becomes rather irrelevant

So as I asked - are you sure your tablet can used the external card as the primary write
    I can assure you that not all tablets can do

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

We understand that you want it for extra storage....but the point being made is; not all devices can write directly to SD cards. Example, my phone....it only comes with 8 GB of storage (small I know but works for me), then I added a 16 GB SD card for storage. My phone wont allow me to move a lot of (almost all of it) the phones software to the card. So all I can really do with the card is use it for pictures. The phones software dictates the internal storage for all updates....so everything gets downloaded to the internal storage. Which basically makes my 16 GB card useless.

6. Alex Ethridge

The card will be for storage only, storage of user-created files, pictures, videos, etc. Beyond that, I don't know what you two are writing about.

7. valis

valis Moderator

I don't know how to explain it any better than they are; not all tablets physically can write to the internal storage card. I have an asus; it can. Friend of mine has, I believe, an apple tablet; it cannot write to the storage card.

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers I cannot explain it further than I have
    It is not complicated
    If you only going to move to the SD card videos etc created on the internal storage then the speed of write to the external card from the internal storage is very much a matter of small importance. Presuming that the difference between the fastest write speed and something less will not be ultra important to you, when all you are doing is moving what was written to the internal storage to the external storage

Here is the type of spec you want if you need the fastest
    https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extremepro-microsd-uhs-ii

I do not necessarily mean that make merely an example.

I really cannot understand why you are having difficulty comprehending the difference between the tablet writing to the internal storage at a given speed
    and then moving those files/vidoes etc to the external storage
    compared with
    writing to the external storage in the first instance

Perhaps the 100$ question is - what is the make and full model of the tablet

Please note being typed while my good colleague Valis had posted.
    _ Perhaps this attempt may explain it so that you can grasp the principle

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  9. Alex Ethridge

I thought my question as to whether there were any 256GB MicroSD cards with faster write speeds than the one to which I linked were available was a simple question.

And I have answered how I intend to use it (which is not germane) and still we seem stuck on this direct-writing thing. I know what direct writing is; but, it's not relevant to the question.

Please waste no more time on this.

10. valis

valis Moderator

Can do. I will waste no more time on this thread. :)

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Google is your friend......took like 5 seconds to look up. So, to answer your question; YES!

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/

12. Macboatmaster

As per the reply from my good colleague Valis

However in view of your response
    I will not be helping on any of your future topics, so there will be no chance of my replies being irrelevant.

13. Alex Ethridge

Yes, found that before my initial post, lists only one (very slow) 256G micro card.

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Not sure what you're reading or looking at but that link lists 26 sd cards and of the 26 only 3 are listed below your linked card. The rest are listed at 90 all the way to 300.

15. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice