1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a MANUAL SWITCH for an ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by helpseeker, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I use a cable internet connection. My previous modem had a "standby" switch, so whenever I left the computer I would set the modem to standby, to prevent hackers from having access.

I just got a new modem (internet and telephone) that has to remain on at all times in order for the phones to work. For now, I've activated my EZ firewall, which I haven't used in the past because it would cause some problems with some apps. But I'd rather just be able to turn the internet access on and off as needed.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a manual on/off switch for an RJ45 cable? Seems to me like a rather simple concept.

Thanks to all who reply.

2. diablo75

diablo75

A thumb? :)

But seriously...I suppose you might see if there is an adapter you can use to attached two Ethernet cabled together, and just pull that in half when you want to cut your connection.

Alternatively, you could open your network settings through your control panel, and just disable your wireless adapter temporarily with a right click, then left click on disable.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have several systems that run 24/7, I have no issues with hackers getting in. If you have a decent firewall, I don't see this as an issue.

4. helpseeker

Thanks. I'm sure you're right. I've seen many people stay connected 24/7 and have never known anyone that's been hacked. I think I've just become paranoid. EZ is a good firewall, but as I mentioned, it sometimes causes some apps to malfunction.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you. :D

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
  7. helpseeker

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice