1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a problem with Sun Java?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by VaEsther, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently installed WinPatrol. Under the tab ActiveX there are many Java plug ins which include those that are no longer in use.

The most current Java which are in use are 160_07 which are listed 3 times: 2 are ssv.dll and the other is NPJP160_07.dll.

My concern is that the 2 ssv.dll have a yellow shield with a exclamation mark in the middle. Although I am not certain what the yellow shield means, I think it is a warning of sorts.

I have uninstalled and installed Java but it remains the same. I have also searched for WinPatrol's support forum, however one does not exist.

Can someone inform me if this is something I should be concerned about?

Thank you,

Vaesther

Vista Home Premium
    3gb

2. hewee

hewee

WinPatrol support is at [email protected]

Maybe you also have older versions of java still and that is why it is showing up in WinPatrol. I never checked it out to see just what all I had because I had two older versions also of Java.
    But I did a online scan at Secunia Online Software Inspector
    It told me what was the older version and where they was at.
    I then used JavaRa 1.11 to Remove's old Java versions.
    There are post here on how it worked. It worked great and then I checked again with Secunia Online Software Inspector and even download the installed version. I used Firefox to do the online scan and you have to let the java script run and let it set a cookie to get the scan to come up and also have Sun Java be you got that already.
    Secunia Online Software Inspector also pointed out older Flash I had but I had to clean that up on my own. I am new to XP so not even sure I got all the old flash cleaned up but did clean up the files it was pointing to. The install version you have to have Admin rights to install and run.

3. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

Good evening Hewee,

I have not run the uninstaller or Secunia scan, however your experience is very similar to mine.

WinPatrol is showing earlier disabled versions of Java, which does not make sense to me because I uninstalled all of them before I installed the 160.07 several months ago.

I also installed Firefox 2 months ago because IE was getting slower and slower. I was not required to install Java again, although I eventually removed Firefox.

I will use JavaRa1.11 to remove all traces of Java, then scan with Secunia. I will post back tomorrow to inform you of the outcome.

I thank you not only for the information but also for supplying the links to Secunia and JavaRa1.11.

Peace and Grace,

Vaesther

4. hewee

hewee

Hi VaEsther,

I got a new Dell and it has XP Pro on it where the old computer had 98SE so still learning how XP works and even WinProtrol Plus that I have does not list everything in the same way on XP then it does on 98 and on 98 you don't even see the Service tab. So never really checked out how old java was listed in winpatrol.
    But also it may of had the older java but not been listed in winpatrol because how Dell installs things.
    Like I had a older 4.x flash file. Don't even know why I had a version that old on a new computer.

But the JavaRa1.11 worked great and noting gets installed. But your have a log file you need to remove on your own.

Got to love the Secunia too because I would not even know if it did not tell me.
    It list everything up to date or patch but for the older Winrar I have.

5. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

Good afternoon Hewee,

First, I followed the link to your pictures and I really enjoyed them. It appears fun was had by all.

Second, thank you again for your help.

I scanned my computer with Secunia and only it found an outdated Adobe Flash Macromedia, along with 2 updated versions.

I used Revo uninstaller to uninstall all the Adobes and the JavRa1.11 for the Javas and installed them both anew.

I re-scanned with Secunia and although it no longer shows the outdated Adobe Flashes, it now shows 2 errors: an error occurred while searching for Windows updates.

This does not concern me since I am sure everything is up to date.

Regarding the multiple outdated Javas shown in WinPatrol, they are gone. Only 1 updated Java appears, however the yellow shield with the exclamation mark is still there.

Java's yellow shield icon is probably nothing to worry about, and if it is, it will come to light sooner or later. In the meantime, I have rid my computer of outdated software and added 2 new applications to my arsenal of computing weaponry thanks to you.

Grace and Peace,

VaEsther

6. hewee

hewee

Glad you liked the pictures.

Well you then had the uninstall for the older flash. I did not have but one flash in the add/remove so had no way to uninstall the other 2 versions. To bad there was not some to remove them from Adobe Flash Macromedia. They have a uninstaller but it only removed the newer one I wanted to keep. But I ran it still but then had to reinstall the newer flash.

Don't know how uninstalling the flash would have Secunia give an error on windows update.

The only Java I see in WinPatrol is in the startup tab and that is the JUSCHED.EXE that is for the Java update and I got it disabled and the SSV.DLL in the IE helper tab.

Maybe you can just remove that java icon from winpatrol if you think it is not needed. I the java wants to come back it will show up again.

By the way did you run MS Update or get the error on the update from Secunia.
    If you downloaded I would scan with it and also the online scan. I the install version do a rescan.
    Then go to Widows Updates to see if anything shows up.

I got Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit and it will tell you a whole lot about your computer. But it listed 4 hotfixes I needed. Windows update said there were no update. I then installed the Microsoft Update and did a scan and there was the added 4 update listed. So was able to install them from Microsoft Update because it showed them where Windows Update did not.
    Some what odd because both work the same and you can still see your history of updates from either one.

7. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

Hello again Hewee,

I used RevoUninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ and it removed all traces of Adobe. While on the Adobe site I came across an uninstaller for the Flash Player: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1

(Sorry for the long link, I am still new at this.)

Yes, the Windows Update thing was a little weird. The message "error occurred while searching for missing Windows Updates" indicated there were missing Windows updates which I did not realize until I rebooted my computer and it indicated it was initializing Windows Update. The message read, "Do not turn off your computer..... But there were no updates. It will all work itself out eventually.

Regarding the Java, I just realized what you wrote is correct. I had that same Java in startup, with the Java icon. And yes I disabled it.

However, there is a Java ActiveX. It is the plugin, ssv.dll. This is the one with the yellow shield in WinPatrol.

I did download Secunia. It reported everything updated and patched. I will try the Belarc tomorrow.

Again I thank you and hope you have a blessed evening,

VaEsther

8. hewee

hewee

So does RevoUninstaller find things like the flash that is not in the add/remove and uninstall it?

Here are the places I go to for updates.

Windows Update
    http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Microsoft Update
    http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Now you use IE all the time or Firefox.
    I know in the Java options it has the under the Adavanced tab, setting, Default java for browsers. Click the +.
    I removed the checkmark in both.
    Don't think doing anything in the setting there will effect what your seeing in WinPatrol.
    Now if you can do the Secunia Online Software Inspector in IE then I would say it is working right.

Hey you said yellow shield icon and that made me think of the yellow Exclamation mark that means something is not right.
    But I also have the yellow shield icon you see here and that is OK.

Attached Files:

9. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

Good morning Hewee,

Microsoft.com is where I checked for updates; that link brings me back to my update page. I also manually checked all the recent updates at Microsoft and the update calendar, it appears I have them all.

I use IE. I also downloaded the Belarc and it reported everything is up to date and patched.

A picture is certainly worth a thousand words. The yellow shield icon in your WinPatrol is the same as mine.

By the way, how did you put that picture in your post?

I have been in contact with BillP at WinPatrol. He suggested that WinPatrol may be corrupted and I should uninstall and reinstall.

I emailed him that I was in contact with someone who had the same yellow shield. I have not received a response to this as of yet. But I am not going to uninstall WinPatrol.

You have been very helpful. Thank you.

Grace and Peace,

VaEsther

10. hewee

hewee

Hi,

Yea Microsoft Update seems to show more updates then Windows Update does or it showed the ones that Belarc said was missing so I got that all fixed up.

Why did Bill say WinPatrol may be corrupted if it is the java icon in the picture because I think that is the way it should be. But you use IE and that java icon is the IE helper

The image I just attached to my post by uploading it here.
    You can not do this if your using the "Quick Reply" box so your need to click below the "Quick Reply" on the "Go Advance" or the [​IMG] buttons.

Now when your at the full edit menu page your see more options at the top and side of the message window.
    Now scroll down the page some and your see the "Additional Options" and the "Attach Files" with the "Manage Attachments" button. Click on it to upload the file types listed.

11. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

Good evening Hewee,

BillP's answer is what I call the "generic answer". It seems when tech support does not have an answer to a problem, they usually say, "maybe the service you downloaded is corrupted. Try uninstalling and installing it again."

I had McAfee for 18 months. I can not tell you how many times tech support gave me that same answer.

Thanks again for all your help.

Continued Grace and Peace,

VaEsther

12. hewee

hewee

Bill is good at replying to emails.

But WinPatrol is very easy to install and or reinstall.
    Just close WinPatrol down and uninstall it and then reboot and install it again.
    It will remember every thing about your settings because it is still in the registry.

13. VaEsther

VaEsther Thread Starter

14. hewee

hewee

Hey that is good to here Bill wanting to help out that way.
    He is a good guy who could be very rich also by adding the Ask Toolbar but he said no to then twice. See What's Wrong with Toolbars?

See also Vote2008 WinPatrol Discount Coupon at Bits from Bill

One thing also nice is if you buy the Plus version your only pay once because upgrades are free for life.

I got a free copy of WinPatrol Plus from Bill I won in a contest over at Calendar of Updates. Even got a free WinPatrol shirt he sent me for helping at his forum and I sure never had much of anything to do but Bill is just that way.

15. Corrine_ASAP

Corrine_ASAP

Hi, Hewee. I thought you would never replace that old Win98 machine! (y) Congratulations. I hope the new computer is working well for you and you're adjusting to the differences.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, VaEsther. Please excuse the interruption. I've known Hewee from CoU and CastleCops for some years.

Analytics picked up the link to my SecurityGarden blog post so I thought I would stop by and add my two cents.

Although they are quite tiny, the only images in WinPatrol by file names are the icons used by the software, as shown in this example, and do not indicate errors:

[​IMG]

(By the way, I do not have SunJava installed on my computer and haven't found that I'm missing anything.)

With regard to WinPatrol "tech support", Bill Pytolovany is both developer and tech support for WinPatrol. I have a lot of admiration for him. Although he does not have a forum devoted specifically to WinPatrol, as you discovered, there are people like Hewee and myself who manage to find WinPatrol questions and do what we can to assist. There are a couple of sites that have dedicated WinPatrol support but the program runs so well, little help is needed.

Regards,

Corrine

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice