1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a professional service that can fix a corrupted document?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have a corrupted document that was created in both Word Perfect and MS Word. That's the problem: going back between the two caused some sort of issue that doesn't lose data- what it does is cause certain sections to lose their paragraph indentation when they are printed. This is app. 40 pages out of a 150-page document. I would gladly pay well if someone could recommend a service/expert that can do this. It has been an endless torment- I need to print out several copies, bound, and with the formatting lost it is a serious problem. Help!

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    If you can open the document and work with it, why don't you invest some time and do it yourself?
    If you have Word Perfect (Corel) then the underwater screen ( Alt + F3 ) still exists and you could remove all extra formatiing and then save it as a MicroSoft Word doc(x) and have it as you need it.

If you only have word you could try and remove all formatting and then apply the new style to it.
    A professional service will probably cost you more that a few hours of reformatting.
    You could also just extract the 'bad' parts and reformat those and reinsert if?

Just an idea.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your response, but I have to laugh. "why don't you invest some time and do it yourself?"

I cannot tell you how much time I've already invested trying to "do it myself." I've searched all over the Internet, posted on WP forums, tried all their suggestions, spent HOURS upon hours trying different things. Days, weeks of it.....nothing has worked. That's why I'm trying to find someone who could just present me with a professionally-repaired, clean document, but I cannot seem to find anyone. Posts on here are just ignored; this isn't the first time I've tried.

I might try your suggestion, though; it sure wouldn't hurt. At this point, I'm figuring on just having to retype about 40 pages....or pay someone to do it....ugh........so...what is the "underwater screen?" Reveal codes? If so, I've spent a ton of time with that, trying to remove this and that.....that was one of the big suggestions made by the WP forum folks.....didn't work.

Again, thank you for responding; it seems that apart from you, this is an area where no one can give me any feedback or help. Not sure how to proceed at this point....like I say, if you know an expert who could do this, I'd be grateful.

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I should ask: what do you mean by "extra formatting?"

5. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    See my PM to you

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Underwater screen probably refers to a Watermark that gets put on every page.
    Reveal Codes refers to the Formatting Codes which in Word Perfect are held "in line" with the text and can be seen and edited.

I'm not sure what extra formatting is being referred to either, unless it means ALL formatting just leaving the actual text.

7. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    @Dave: the 'underwater screen' is NOT the Watermark, it's the formatting which is made visible by pressing Ctrl+F3 (in WorkPerfect / Corel).
    You can clearly see all the formatting codes and delete these slectively.
    So, NO, it's not the Watermark or Footer or anything in that direction.
    I was a WP user (and still fanactic) since my first years of PC's (1986/87 until 1995) :)
    @Nick: That's the 'extra' formatting I mean, it's invisible in Word and a nuissance.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!