1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is There A Reason to Keep My CDRW?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Hulk701, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

Hi Gang

I have a CDRW and a DVDRW on my computer. I"m thinking of getting rid of my CDRW and getting a DVDRW instead. This will give me two DVDRW's on my computer.

My question is, is there any reason to keep my CD burner? Are there some things I can do with a CD burner that I can't do with a DVD burner? Are there some things I can do with a CD that I can't do with a DVD? Are CD's obsolete? Can I do everything now with DVD's?

thanks,

HULK!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Many DVD burners will also burn CD-R/RW disc. In that case there is no reason I can think of to keep a CD burner in the computer.

Some reasons you might want to burn CDs is if you want to make a music CD that will work in CD players that only handle audio discs or to give files to someone that does not have a DVD drive in their computer.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Now that most DVD burners burn CD's at higher speeds, I'd suggest dumping it. I only have a single CD-RW in a machine with a CD-RW, just in case I run across some oddball compatibility issue, I'll have a drive to try reading/writing to. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!