1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a terminal command to switch from TMW back to Gnome desktop?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by PhillyLinux, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhillyLinux

PhillyLinux Thread Starter

The title sums it up. I clicked and now have lost the Gnome desktop which I desperately want back. Thanks to all of you for your help.

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Can you get xterm running? If you can (or any terminal. In TWM click and hold on the desktop to bring up a menu), tghen try running the comman gnomecc (Or, imho, try typing in "gnome", and then hitting tab. It will list all commands starting with gnome. Then look for system tools or control center or cc. Just keep trying commands.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have not run a gui since Rh 6. From what I remember you open up a terminal prompt and type something like switchdesk or switchdesk-gnome.

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I dont excactly know how gnome does it. worst comes to worse, kill the xserver and edit .xinitrc putting in gnome-session

5. PhillyLinux

PhillyLinux Thread Starter

Thanks! Switchdesk in terminal worked like a charm. Us newbies need gui's (a poor attempt at poetry....)

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

:)
    Yes, however, sometimes its best to learn cli first.

7. tsunam

tsunam

or at least concurrently :)

I'm still learning the cli, and there's times where For the life of me i can't remember the command that i'm looking for :)

8. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

You get used to it. Tab completion is your friend. It will even complete commands for you .

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I totally brain farted the other day on the CHAGE command. I could even remember what letter it started with. Then all of a sudden it hit my like a brick. :eek:

10. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

At least some of those commands sound like what they do. Some.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice