1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a way around this?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WesNathan, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

I'm about to begin teaching computers to a group of Seniors. The Senior Center has 6 old donated laptops, with Win XP on them. The new class, which starts next week, has 6 signups (and 25 waiting), all of whom have Win 7 on their home computers.
    The Center does not have the budget to buy new computers.

There are several problems that I see and I'm hoping you can come up with an idea or two to help me get around them.

Problem 1: We need 6 copies of Win 7, unless there is such a thing as a group license at a very low cost,

Problem 2: The laptops are HP Compaq nc8230 models, with only 512 mb of RAM. 37 gig available hard drive space.
    My understanding is, at least 1 gig of RAM is needed to run Win 7 (and 2 gig is better). Is there a laptop version of Win 7 with reduced memory requirements?

I don't know...this may not be do-able. It'd be a shame to have to cancel. The list is long (for this center) and growing every day. The Center gets no federal, state, or city monies so coming up with several thousand dollars to upgrade their computers is a long shot at best.

Will appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Wes

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Wes:

The HP Compaq nc8230 laptop doesn't have driver support for Windows 7, so some or all of its devices won't work properly or work at all if you install it.

It does support a maximum of 2 GB of DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667) RAM - which is needed to run Windows 7 properly.

I've never bought a volume/group licensed version of Windows 7, so I can't advise you what it'll cost.

Personally, I think you're fighting a losing battle.

-----------------------------------------------------

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what did you intend to cover on the first day.

This is usually quite a problem , when you are teaching groups on different versions - I had the opposite issue when i was helping out teaching groups - the local authority in partnership with the various education and retirement drop in centrers purchased 15 laptops - all with windows 7 on , and at that time it was very new and people had XP or Vista
    so we taught - wordpad , skype, email, internet , searching , etc etc - most things which to some extent could be OS independent.

Microsoft provide huge discounts for software for educational purposes - so you may find they will do a good deal for you - however, I suspect you will have issues getting those machines to run windows 7

i'm sure you would be able to continue the course , just may need a little tweaking
    also anyone who attends the course and then decides to go out and buy a laptop or PC - will get windows 8 now - so its always going to be an issue and you may want to look at how to focus the course to overcome this OS issue

I had hoped to expand a local business helping the older generation getting on-line with a focus on training on their own equipment at their home, but has not really taken off - as not a lot of disposable spare cash available, even though the area I live in is quite well off , in in the recession

hope that helps a little

4. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts everybody.
    ETAF, your idea to teach the stuff that is more or less OS independent, might be workable. It's a six week course, 2 hours per week, for which they pay $20 total. (The Senior Center gets the money; I'm a volunteer).

Teaching Seniors who are scared of not being able to learn, and/or who have difficulty following directions, can be challenging. But not terribly so. I enjoy it, and, apparently, so do they. Word of mouth is causing the waiting list to get way out of hand.

There is another possible work around. I got my wife a notebook several months back, which came with Win 7 on it. We use a 60 inch HDTV in a small library. My thought is to use my machine instead of theirs, and suggest the students bring their computers in from home.

The fly in this ointment is if a student has a desktop instead of a laptop. Also, I learned the hard way about problems with students using their own computers. They always have questions about programs and problems that are unique to their machine, which the rest of the class isn't interested in. If this works, I'm going to have to keep a tight rein on what material is covered and random spur of the moment digressions.

Meanwhile, since the Center seems to have a growing interest in the computer stuff, I'm going to talk to them about a fund raising program to buy new computers, more of them, and some way to be able to upgrade the operating system without it costing an arm and a leg.

I've been online trying to get information from Microsoft about our options. What a large wheel spin that's been thus far.

Appreciate your help.

Wes

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in the UK the courses where 8 weeks and free - very difficult to compete with that
    and @ $20 for 12hrs is excellent value

we used to have quite a few course run by the government - but that all stopped some years ago now.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/buy/Pages/USAcademicretail.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/buy/Pages/index.aspx

good luck with the courses , i enjoy the 1:1's when i can get them and have a few regulars - most over 80 ....

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Group licenses for W7 are available from Microsoft, directly, as well as sold by 3rd party vendors

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!