1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is there a way how to make programs startup in a certain order when windows starts?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JustSomeGuy1, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustSomeGuy1

JustSomeGuy1 Thread Starter

what the title says is there a way how to make programs startup in a certain order when windows starts? Msconfig just shuts on or off is there a way how to arrange the things at start up in order?

2. Pandatech

Pandatech

Click on start>>All Programs>>Start UP and you should be able to drag programs in the start up programs menu in the order that you would like them to start in

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

Is it possible to start a script before the desktop is built up?

5. JohnWill

You can run a script before login, and you could always put a script in the startup folder that starts all of the stuff you want in the sequence you would like it. A neat little utility for doing this kind of thing is AutoIt, which generates powerful scripts easily.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have a little utility here called "After". I don't remember where I got it; but, I have been using it for years to delay certain things in the startup group and it works very well.

Example: I put an item into the startup group, then I add the path to AFTER.EXE just before the program I want to start and put in the number of seconds I want to delay the start.

Here's the target before adding the "AFTER" delay:
    "C:\Program Files\AtomTime\ATOMTIME.EXE"

Here it is after adding the delay:
    C:\EXE\After 40 "C:\Program Files\AtomTime\ATOMTIME.EXE"

The latter creates a forty-second delay.

I can't tell you where to find the AFTER program, perhaps at www.download.com. If you can't find it, send me a mail and I'll attach it to a reply. It's only 40 kilobytes.

7. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

Hi, Johnwill,

I know AutoIt! It's very nice.
    But the items in the start-up folder always start after the desktop is completed.
    If I want to modify items on the desktop, it doesn't work because the desktop is already there.

As for delaying, it's very easy to do in vbs.

8. JohnWill

You can run it in startup scripts that run before the startup folder is processed I guess. I've never had the need, so I haven't actually looked into this.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice