1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a way to change color,font,size to resemble xp in w7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by liketolearn, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liketolearn

liketolearn Thread Starter

I am having real trouble with trying to get it so I am not straining, or squinting my eyes on my new w7. It is not a new screen. I have concluded that I have very sensitive eyes to resolution as my old computer was set on a low resolution and I had no problem with vision.
    Now it is at 1280x1024 and I have played with the font sizes etc and tried lowering the brightness etc, and I still am having eye troubles. I can't use a laptop or watch 3D movies for very long as I get that same eye problem.
    Also, no matter what I do, the welcome page with the user acct icons are so small! I am sure missing the look of xp now. I never had to do anything for it.
    Oh and it is a Dell 17" lcd couple of years old if that makes any difference.

Thanks

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

Hi liketolearn,
    Go to Control Panel, select "Appearance & Personalizaton", "Adjust screen resolution".
    Set resolution to 1024x768 (see attached picture). This should make everything appear larger, especially the font face.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

Attached Files:

3. w7pro

w7pro

If you right click on the desk top and go to personalization, you can go to themes and below the Aero themes, there's one labeled "Windows Classic" that you might want to try out. It's a good approximation of the old Windows aesthetic.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

4. liketolearn

So I have tried to lower the resolution and yes some text was very large while others are very small like when quitting Skype the "are you sure" which I can barely read. Google is masive and I can change that but then other stuff goes too small.
    I will try what Ryan suggested.
    Could it be my screen?? I looked on the back and it is 2006.

5. liketolearn

So I tried the lower resolution as well and I still have the very small print in the boxes that come up asking if I would like to quit or w.e. I am not sure what those boxes are called though. Even in the create an acct with skype, the very small print for name etc. not like in my old computer with xp. Even with larger font it still looks blurry too. I am squinting to read just because of blur or is it shadows?? Not sure but not with this same screen on my old pc with xp.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Post a screen shot of this so we can see the differences.

7. liketolearn

Sorry but I don't know how to do that.

8. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

How to do a screen capture in Win7:
    Click start Orb>All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool.
    Once you have your screenshot saved, go to the bottom of this page and click [Go Advanced].
    Now click the PaperClip icon... this opens a window which allows you to browse to your screen capture picture you just made.
    Select the screenshot then choose to upload it.
    Once it's uploaded, close the upload window then post your reply.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

9. liketolearn

here goes and thanks

10. liketolearn

try again

Attached Files:

11. liketolearn

this really isn't a good example as it doesn't really show the difference in print size as being that small.

12. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

The same settings you used in xp are still in windows 7.Right click on desktop <personalize>then click on <windows color> click on <advanced appearance settings> and the box you get is the same as xp where you can adjust font size, color, dialog box fonts etc

13. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

liketolearn, changing the appearance in win7 will NOT change any fonts or appearance in Skype.
    Try changing things for Skype using Skype's options/preferences.

Jim

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice