Is there a way to force memory resident program to close when exiting Windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mulderator

I have a couple programs that Windows can't close when it exits (Win XP). So when I exit, I have to manually click the popup Window that asks to close the program without saving it or cancel. Is there a way to have Windows do that by default for that particular program (or even for all programs) preferably after some period of time of not making a choice?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I use X-Setup and select the option to automatically terminate hung applications.

Are you sure that programs aren't just timing out? There is a 20 second timeout for non-responsive applications at shutdown, then Windows terminates them.

Mulderator

JohnWill said:
I use X-Setup and select the option to automatically terminate hung applications.

Are you sure that programs aren't just timing out? There is a 20 second timeout for non-responsive applications at shutdown, then Windows terminates them.
What is X-Setup?

No--I wish it would time out--that's what I'm looking for--10 second timeout and then it automatically ends the program without having to hit the "End Now" button.

awalker0878

Removed by request
you could create a shortcut to a command shutdown on your desktop (right on desktop\new\shortcut):

name: Shutdown

name: Restart

name: Logoff

Mulderator

awalker0878 said:
you could create a shortcut to a command shutdown on your desktop (right on desktop\new\shortcut):

name: Shutdown

name: Restart

name: Logoff
I don't understand--is this a batch file you are talking about writing?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Mulder said:
I don't understand--is this a batch file you are talking about writing?
Just make a shortcut on your desktop with the commands he posted. Or try using the PowerOff program I posted. It is free.

Mulderator

Squashman said:
Just make a shortcut on your desktop with the commands he posted. Or try using the PowerOff program I posted. It is free.
Well, that works but a little bit too dangerous--click that shortcut by accident when you're in the middle of doing something and you're screwed! ;)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Change the shutdown -t value to a higher number. Then if you accidently do that you can cancel the shutdown. Or use the PowerOff program I posted. It is a little more customizeable.

Mulderator

Squashman said:
Change the shutdown -t value to a higher number. Then if you accidently do that you can cancel the shutdown. Or use the PowerOff program I posted. It is a little more customizeable.
Actually--I tried that on my laptop, but when I tried it on the desktop (the one that was having the problem) it is the same--asks me to confirm the closing of the programs.

Howdy folks...

You can try a global fix that works on all programs by changing the value of AutoEndTasks from 0 to 1 in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

bearone2

Banned
Mulder said:
I have a couple programs that Windows can't close when it exits (Win XP). So when I exit, I have to manually click the popup Window that asks to close the program without saving it or cancel. Is there a way to have Windows do that by default for that particular program (or even for all programs) preferably after some period of time of not making a choice?
what programs are running?:cool:

awalker0878

Removed by request
Jedi_Master said:
Howdy folks...

You can try a global fix that works on all programs by changing the value of AutoEndTasks from 0 to 1 in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
that was the reg fix included in the zip file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online