1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a way to free up RAM space?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nixion, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nixion

Nixion Thread Starter

So is there? Or is it even necessary to? I have 1 gig of RAM by the way. Thanks!

2. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone

With 1gb there is almost no point but if want to then (on winxp) you go to the 'All Programs' section on the start menu and delete unnessercery things that you don't want running in the background when you boot your pc from the 'Startup' folder. Some programs also have the option to not start when you boot your PC (like MSN messenger and Steam).

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Some startup programs will not be in Startup folder.

Anyways if you are doing normal stuff then you are fine.

If your system tray (bottom right corner) is filled with icons, then you will need to start taking them out. In all honesty all the media programs and IM programs do not need to started on boot up. To take them out of startup, go into each respective program and go to thier options section and uncheck Start at Startup, or Start when Windows is loaded.

4. Nixion

Nixion Thread Starter

Alright thanks for the info guys or gals

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine the typical user ever taxing a machine with a gig of memory. I don't do anything special to clean out memory on mine, and I have lots of stuff running, 49 processes. I have a gig of memory, and with multiple IE windows open, Eudora, and a bunch of resident stuff in the system tray, I have 621mb left free, the system isn't even breaking a sweat.

6. Psycheout

Psycheout

I normally keep no more than 31 processes running at a time. With only 128 megabytes of memory, that really helps.

Go into the task manager often and make sure there are no background programs running that you don`t want. That`s what I do, and my machine runs pretty fast for only having 128mb of memory.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's a difference between 128mb and a gig of memory! :D

8. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

I need another gig for video and music editing.

Windoes does a good job of managing memory, and the only intervention that I have taken is to lock my pagefile (XP) so as to keep it unfragmented.

Most users will never need to or want to do this.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/374476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice