1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is There A Way To Send Program File From One Computer To Another?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bizwiz2, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

Hi,

I would like to send a program file along with a template from one computer to another. It is not possible to physically link the two computers. Is there a way to do that? (For example, emailing the file as an attachment, or uploading to a website & then downloading it, or something else?) If so, how do I do it? Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you be more specific as to the exact task? I'm not sure what you're asking.

3. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

I have a file on a floppy disk. It's a template for a page layout that works in Microsoft Publisher. I want to get it onto my laptop. My laptop has no floppy drive. So I'm wondering if I can load the file onto a desktop and then transfer it to my laptop. I would like to be able to do this without having to have the two computers in close proximity to each other. So I was thinking of loading the file on a desktop and then emailing the file as an attachment or perhaps FTPing it to a website & then downloading it on my laptop. Would that work? Would one be better than the other? Is there a third and better way of doing it?

4. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Yes, putting the file that is on the floppy in a disk with internet acess and then emailing it to yourself usually works. The only issue might be that MS Publisher files are usually larger files, and many emails have limits. But I'd definently try that route, as it'd work well if the file isn't too large.

5. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

OK, thanks.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You can use www.YouSendIt.com to transfer up to 1 GB files for free.

As TreyDawgMT mentioned, MS-Publisher files can be quite large. You might try using a Zipping program to compress the files before transferring them. I have seen 12 page church newsletters that were 16 MB MS-Publisher files compress down to under 3 MB.

7. onsite

onsite

uSE rapidshare or megaupload
    rapidshare is the fastest, upload limit 100meg
    megaupload is slower, with a max of 250 meg.
    http://rapidshare.de/

http://www.megaupload.com/
    I do not know how secure either one is. I use them to send files from my house then download when i get to work

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the file fits on a floppy, it's not too large to send over regular e-mail.

9. onsite

onsite

Usually 1.4 meg in most cases can be sent as an attachment. Most ISPs will let you send around 3 meg as attachments. They will let you receive a lot more.
    If that is the way you want to do it you can get a file chopper prog and send 100s of megs 1 meg at a time.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How about a cheap Flash drive. I would assume both computer have a USB port. You can get a 128MB USB flash drive for $8.50 on Newegg.

I like YouSendit. Use it all the time. Another option is Yahoo Briefcase.
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home

11. onsite

onsite

Yes a flash drive will work also, as long as you do not forget to bring it or do not lose it.
    what if you want to send 70 megs of pictures to your Aunt in Frostbite Falls Min ?

12. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Duh, I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the files are on a floppy... Yeah, I suppose it'd be a small file then :-D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice