1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a way to turn on an external harddrive from the computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by farahm2, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. farahm2

farahm2 Thread Starter

Hey people, i was wondering, is there a way to turn on an external harddrive straight from the computer? Like is there a program that when is opened, will turn on the harddive? Because i am trying to find a way to remotely turn on my harddirve while im on the go. That way, i can use my mobile device to play the media that is on my harddrive.

any comments/suggestions appreciated.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Are you trying to say that you want to access your external hard drive through your mobile device, without having the external drive plugged into the computer?

I'm not understanding your question.

3. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Why not just leave your external drive on?

4. farahm2

farahm2 Thread Starter

No, lets forget about the mobile device for now. What i'm wondering is if there is a way to, somehow, turn on my external hard drive from my computer, without actually flicking the switch that is on the harddrive. My harddrive is always plugged into my computer via USB.

@lawson_jl

I dont want to leave my harddrive on all the time because mine doesnt have a fan in it, and i dont want it to over heat. if it had a fan in it, that would be no problem.

5. bbearren

bbearren

I would say that you should visit the website of the external drive manufacturer to see what the capabilities are on the drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!