1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a way to verify that my computer ethernet port is active?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hhannam, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

Before some wise--- tells me to plug something into it and see if it works......I don't have an ethernet cable (yet!), but I just re-assembled a custom built computer and had some problems with my Internet cable connection on attempting hookup. It turned out that the problem was not with my USB hookup, but with my Zone Alarm firewall program, but in the interim I spoke with someone at Comcast tech support who advised me to get an ethernet cable modem connection rather than the USB connection. He claims it's about 10% faster anyhow.

While my motherboard/computer has an ethernet port, I don't have enough basic technical knowledge to know whether that port is automatically functional or whether I have to install software/drivers to make it work with my cable modem (and the Comcast tech support rep didn't know either)

I'd appreciate it if someone could inform me of any way that I could detect or determine if that ethernet port is currently active/functional such as by going into the device manager or something of that nature, before I go running off to buy an ethernet cable :(

2. Hughv

Hughv

In Device manager, look under Network adapters to see if an adapter is listed. No list, or yellow marks indicates a problem. In most cases you'll get an LCD light to indicate the port is active when you plug in the cable.
    The tech is right about increased speed.

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

Appreciate your quick reply...I took a quick snapshot of my device manager's network adapter list to show you. Notice that both the adapter's controllers are "X'd" out. I suppose I could find out how to activate them or do you know?....Perhaps they'd activate automatically if I plugged in an ethernet cord?

Thanks muchos even if you don't have time for a second reply... :D

Attached Files:

4. Hughv

Hughv

The "X" means they are disabled.
    Just right-click, "enable".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/749744