1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there a way?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quietgirl, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quietgirl

quietgirl Thread Starter

Hi not sure I posted in right place but.... is there a way my husband can be spying on me? We share same computer...I have my own user he has his..but he has access to my user too. I tried a spy ware thingy once to see if it would work and I could see all my passwords n stuff .. and where i went and convos i had..now can he do the same and not me knowing? Or do the spyware programs detect that?Help ty

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Most anti-spyware programs like SpybotS&D will discover 'keylogger' type programs and remove them. However, there are other ways he could be doing it, especially if he is Administrator on the machine.

For instance, if Spybot discovers a keylogger, and removes it, obviously it wont work, and he will know...and then, if he figures out how it was disabled, he could tell spybot to ignore it next time....etc etc etc.

To be honest, in that sort of environment, unlesss you know exactly what you are doing, there is no chance of completley covering your tracks...cookies, sites visited...etc etc. If you are Admin on the machine, you could of course restrict his access to certain logs and files....but even then, no guarantees. Fir instance, there are keyloggers that can be put on the cable of the keyboard....etc etc.

Sorry, but unless you have your own computer, or use other ways of securing your information.....well, he can probably access it all. I know that if I wanted to spy on my wife, even though she has her own machine, I could do it easily, and she'd be none the wiser. You might want to read up and research security and privacy etc on the web.

Scorp.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The short answer is clearly yes, if he has admin access, he can access anything on the machine. The only real solution to this issue is to encrypt the files/folders.

4. quietgirl

quietgirl Thread Starter

and how u go about encrypting file/folders?

5. quietgirl

quietgirl Thread Starter

plus do u have any links that are good spyware programs i can use to scan with that might find anythingA? I have the spybot s&d i think...

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry to say that you won't find spyware programs too useful. For example SIW is a small utility that tells you about the hardware and software on a computer, it can also reveal passwords for various items. Its not something any anti-virus, anti-spyware, or anti-trojan program would ever find. There's also utilities that can record activities or monitor your screen that aren't detected either because they are not malicous excpet when one uses them that way.

The really solution here is a trust issue.

7. JohnWill

8. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

another "program" will solve your problem for sure!
    it's called a divorce. You must be doing something wrong if your worried about him spying.

9. PODNickerz

PODNickerz

Umm are you using your account to post on this forum?
    Then ur husband may already know what you are trying to do ? :O

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If he has admin access and finds out you encrypted files, he can just delete them.

11. quietgirl

quietgirl Thread Starter

Talk about getting out of hand ppl..my goodness. ALL I did was ask question..thought u guys were to help ppl on the net with there problems not try solve or put down personal problems they may have that u dont know anything about.

12. JohnWill

OK, I've deleted all the off-topic posts from the thread, and I'm expecting no more to appear. We do have the vacation option for folks that insist on continuing to post off-topic. We normally are really better behaved here.

If you guys want to debate marriage, I suggest Civil Debate, not the technical forums.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice