1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is there a way?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by laurfar, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've removed McAfee anti-virus and put on Norton. I used the Remove Software under "Control Panel". Is there a deeper way to check to see if all of the McAfee bits are removed? Can anyone give me a step by step to get into a deeper level than the "Add and Remove" feature.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

3. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

This was great to read and watch the video, but I don't know where to get the MCPR.exe download. I went on line and the ones that are available are from different companies and they want me to buy other products, and I'd really like a link to getting a free removal tool that McAfee mentioned as MCPR.exe. Do you have a link to that?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

5. Byteman

Hi laurfar,

The link was right in the material- just a bit down the page after the flash demo

And at the linked page, that is a clickable hyperlink.....you have to put the mouse cursor on it.... sorry that you did not catch that, but you have the link now, and my explanation.....

6. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I saw it just after I posted of course. I just hadn't scrolled far enough. If there are other software on my machine that have been "removed", but still have some bits left over is there a way for me to clean off the bits?

7. Byteman

Hi, Yes and no.....for almost every antivirus type or antispyware or the most common security suites, there are, such as MCPR or Norton Removal Tool.... And, it is a good idea to use these more complete removal utilities, when you are UNinstalling these security or antivirus etc programs, & sometimes even if you wish to only REinstall to eliminate some software problem.

For other programs, like MS Office, I don't know of any specific remover, but there is the Windows Installer Cleanup tool- that also helps with more than Office.

Some of the heavy hitting printer companies provide driver removers, and so do the graphics chip and card companies....these drivers are changed frequently, and there are conflicts, so they provide driver remover tools.

You should not resort to using Registry cleaner programs, even the "Professional" grade ones, since they are way too agressive and can cause unintended but very real damage. I know the problem....six out of ten people you talk to about these utilities say they work great...... just ask the others what happened to their computers! Reg cleaners, especially if you let them remove all the "errors" they claim exist, are not advsiable to use.

If you are seeing error messages about leftover files or old versions of a software, for example a Flash Player that is out of date....you should do as the alert tells you and UNinstall any older versions. YOu have to read the README.TXT files or the FAQ's for any software you install....it really helps iron out things that might mess up your system or keep the software from working correctly.

That's why the answer to your question, is both yes and no..... it just depends. If you do not see any issues resulting from a new install, then don't go hunting for something that isn't causing any problems

Whenever I get the message about "Program X was using some Shared Files, and it looks like it was the only program that was using these shared files....would you like to delete these files?" I ALWAYS say NO- I would like to keep them, because a long time ago I learned a hard lesson when I replied Yes, remove the shared files.....

Often, just before UNinstalling something, Windows will tell you it is creating a new System restore point--- and that is a good way to get back to normal, in case your computer has a hiccup or two.....just roll back to before the event and you should be fine. It does not always work.....

Each and every program does not have a more elaborate removal or cleanup tool, because there usually is no need for one- The UNInstaller itself usually is fine.

8. jdl

jdl

RevoUnistaller Free scans for leftover bits and pieces after a standard uninstall and removes them. An excellent program.

Look at it here.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice