Is there a Windows version of a bat file?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DCM1519

I would like to add a line to my program shortcuts that will change the exit process.

Years ago, I wrote batch files in DOS that would easily do this but in looking at my shortcuts, do not see any way to alter them.

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Change the exit process? Batch files work in Windows, but obviously it's dependent on what you want to do. There are also VBscript, and a host of other ways to accomplish tasks. My personal favorite for Windows automation in batch jobs is AutoIt.

DCM1519

John

Thanks for the response.

My Outlook 2000 program does not shut down on exit so I bought the Outlook Shutdown program that is available but it gives an error message on exit that I have to confirm.

Sent an email to the author after reading his FAQ's and apprarently, others have the same problem. He recommends increasing the shutdown time from 30 seconds to 60 seconds ( I think). I tried that with no luck and eventually increased it to 240 seconds but the error messages do not go away.

His site includes a vbs file that does the job and I would like to remove the Outlook Shutdown program and just use the vbs file if I could just automate it. I am tired of having to confirm that Microsoft error message just to get rid of it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Autoit has the nifty capability to find a window and emulate mouse clicks, so it should do the trick, run it on shutdown or just leave it sitting in the system tray. You could also use something like PSKILL to kill the task after 60 seconds.

Alternatively, you could create a shortcut on your desktop with the following line:
%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 0

-s Shuts down the local computer.

-f Forces running applications to close.

-t xx Sets the timer for system shutdown in xx seconds. The default is 20 seconds.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online