1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is there an AIM installer out there anywhere?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by erick295, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I don't want AIM on my C: drive, and I want an installer I can run from my computer. I can't find anything besides AOL's hand-holding auto-downloading piece of garbage that gives me absolutely no options whatsoever and makes me re-download AIM every time I run it. I had this problem with Adobe Reader, and fortunately someone pointed me toward an installer that I could download and run from my computer to install the program, and it allowed me to choose the install path. I was hoping there would be a similar download for AIM.

Downloadable installers seem to be getting rarer by the hour. Are the days of my being able to decide what happens on my computer coming to an end? :confused:

BTW, I do know about Trillian and I use that 95% of the time, but sometimes I need AIM for things like video...

2. emoric

emoric

I honestly love Gaim. :)
    I don't chat very much though. Seems kind of 'kiddie', haha.

3. ViprXX

ViprXX

4. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

Thanks. I actually thought about that and checked there before posting this. The main problem is that the versions they have are old ;) and secondly, their 6.X download is still just the auto installer, which just grabs the newest version from AOL's servers anyway (and doesn't let you choose where to install it).

I just want to choose where to install it, I want to make sure I can reinstall this version in the future if I ever need to. Right now I'm stuck installing whatever version AOL thinks I should have and I'm stuck putting it wherever AOL wants it. If AOL wants to buy me a computer, they can have their way with it, but as long as I'm paying for this thing myself, I think I'd rather have at least a little bit of control over what software I have and where it's installed. I'm sick to death of this new trend :mad:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice